Body Roll..

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
dob-polo6n
Getting There!

Body Roll..

Post by dob-polo6n »

hey folks hows it goin? :)

This has probably been ranted on about before, but I was just curious what, if anything, other people have done to control the massive body roll on the mk4 polo? This may just be my polo, but everytime i try and go around a corner on a road or something at any reasonable speed it just feels as if my car leans over to much.

Someone one told me a while back that the higher engine'd polo's (1.6 and the 16v) have anti-roll bars? is this true?

Was just wondering what could be done with regards to suspension or anything to try and control it a bit.. :?
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

mines a mk4 1.4 CL, rolls a wee bit but i had wider wheels than standard. i would say they are much better than thin steelies. try lowered suspension or coilovers if u can afford it!
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

The 1.4 16v had a 20 mm ARB, as did the diesels, the 1.6 had a 18mm ARB, and the GTI was blessed with a 22 mm ARB.

They bolt into the subframe (and that other thingie I can't remember the name of). I may replace mine with the 22 mm one, if I can be bothered.

:D
StevePolo
Getting There!

Post by StevePolo »

I have the same problem with my 1.4 Polo, I was following my mate in his 1.6 306 yesterday and in a straight line he was no quicker than me but round corners I had no chance, I felt like I was going to roll it and he wasn't even touching the brakes. I need to get the suspension lowered and some big alloys whacked on I think.
david burton

Post by david burton »

ARB's make a huge difference - daily i drive a 16v, and at weekends a CL without the ARB. Fit one and you won't be sorry!
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

i raced my mate and he was in a 2.0 Carina, i was in a 1.4 CL polo. i accelerated round the corners while he was braking for them. he had 175 tyres i had 15 inch alloys with 195s. handling of the polo was amazing compared to standard carina. (rolling? depends how fast u were going :lol: ) he didnt stand a chance, polo was much better!! :D :twisted: :twisted:
david burton

Post by david burton »

One of the biggest problems is the high roll centre of the polo. It's also set up to be a shopper car (mostly), rather than a racer. You can't change the suspension to double wishbones all round without huge expense, but you can change the roll centre (i.e. lower it) and add ARB's. By changing the ride height you really need to absorb the bumps at a different rate than standard - so get shockers to match.

Tyres is a strange one, if you get wider tyres you may not get better grip (the contact patch is roughly the same), but by getting a lower profile you reduce the roll of the tyre wall massively and get much more responsive handling. The tyre compound will play a big part too.

p.s. the 306 is set up pretty darn well. you should be chuffed if you keep up round the corners! I _believe_ it is a torsion bar at the rear and mac struts up front tho - same as the polo's torsion beam axle and trailing arms :?:
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

wider wheels and tyres make such a difference :D.
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

only for straight line traction - too wide and you'll tramline.

Camber and toe are important as well (but thats getting a bit technical :) )
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

mine were 6.5x15 with 195/45/15 tyres, perfecto!! :lol: :D