Mk4 Polo Lowering Question

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
sc00byd00byd00
Getting There!

Mk4 Polo Lowering Question

Post by sc00byd00byd00 »

Hey all,

I have bought some AP Coilovers and fitted them to my Mk4, however, I'm really not liking the harshness feel of the coilovers. (The car crashes and bangs over every crap road and if I have an enthuisiastic drive, the car "bounces" rather than soaking up the bumps - Now I know that coilovers are meant for tracks, but i'd rather have a better driving experience)

I'm not sure how much this has been dropped by, I just kept lowering it until there was no gap between the top of the tyres and the bottom of the arches.

I think I would like to ditch them and get some normal uprated struts/springs, problem is, I can't seem to find anything for the Mk4(6N) 16v that takes the car lower then 40mm

Any advice would be most welcome ;-)

How low do you recon this is ? How do I measure its drop ?

Cheers,

Scott
NOZ
Platinum Member

Re: Mk4 Polo Lowering Question

Post by NOZ »

Lowering the car means less reaction time in travel for shocks and springs to smooth out the bumps. Therefore any kind of lowering regardless of coilovers or uprated shocks/springs will have the same effect. So changing to uprated shocks and springs wouldn't be your best bet as I had a 40mm kit on my last polo. The coilovers on my polo now (which are lower) are smoother then the previous setup on my last polo!

The only way of retaining any comfort is getting a setup higher up the price range with more advanced suspension. Usually KW and Weitecs do the job but your wallet pays the price!
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Re: Mk4 Polo Lowering Question

Post by vw-po-low »

Looks about 80mm - 100mm All around.

Lowering is all about practicality and comfort.

Mines down 120mm on 13's and is bumpy as hell, but i love it.