I'm an idiot, please help

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
enigmamedusa
New

I'm an idiot, please help

Post by enigmamedusa »

Hello :)

I've got a strange vibration on my MKIV when the revs are around the 2500 mark, especially if the revs drop down e.g. when changing gear. At first I thought the exhaust was loose, it's that kind of noise. Although I've had that checked out, and appartently it's fine... It feels like the vibration/noise is almost right under the drivers seat (possibly?)

Also, sometimes, well most of the time, when I go to start the car it doesn't attempt to start, it just makes a horrible noise, abit like "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" (sorry). It's a constant noise, not changing in tempo or tone.

Does any bright spark have a clue what these might be?

I also need a cambelt change, thermostat change, and temp sender change. In Bristol if anyone has any recommendations.

I'm sorry for all the questions
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: I'm an idiot, please help

Post by alexperkins »

try cleaning out the throttle body? And perhaps a new air filter element if its still on the factory airbox
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

The noise when starting sounds like your starter motor!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

agreed with al - it sounds like the starter solenoid isnt engaging, or is getting jammed.
septic
Silver Member

Post by septic »

I had a problem just like this a few months ago. YOu can feel the vibration right under the gear stick right?

Well it was the exhaust system. One of the rubber mount had come off. Had Top Gear in St ALbans sort it out for me as I had lifetime guarantee.
enigmamedusa
New

Post by enigmamedusa »

Thanks for the replies.

I might try the throttle body myself possibly.

I'll have a little look at the starter motor to see if there is anything that looks obviously wrong, and see if I can get underneath to look at the exhaust too.

Thanks again
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

Not sure about the vibration, but I've had my starter motor go on me before, and that sounds like the sound mine made before it died. Get it sorted asap, because eventually it'll just conk out on you and you'll be stuck unless you can bump start it. Unfortunately they ain't cheap, cheapest i could find was about 90 quid! We fitted it ourselves, which is a fiddly job to say the least. Unless you're a fairly competent mechy with a decent selection of tools, I'd leave it to the garage. Fitting should be about 30 quid.
Ali Sey
New

Post by Ali Sey »

enigmamedusa wrote: Also, sometimes, well most of the time, when I go to start the car it doesn't attempt to start, it just makes a horrible noise, abit like "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" (sorry). It's a constant noise, not changing in tempo or tone.
My mate had this happening on his golf, changed the alternator belt and it disappeared!
have you managed to sort it?