Insurance

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Coma
New

Insurance

Post by Coma »

I've been srearching around online and insurance for relatively new drivers is a joke.
I've been driving for 18months now and got a years no claims,
though insurance on a 1.4 16v is still around 1200 a year, or 110 a month with a 400quid deposit.

And i thought things would get better, last year insured my 1L polo for 1098 (it only cos me 950). Again a rip off.

Anyone experienced similar or am i one of the youngest on here haha :$
Similar stories or help would make me feel better haha.
randomage
Silver Member

Re: Insurance

Post by randomage »

Sounds all too familiar mate, i passed my test when i was 18, first car was a 1.0 and that was 1250 to insure, 750 renewal though. Just bought a 1.6 as the old one got written off by a bint in a people carrier, and that's 830 for the year with a years no claims and the fact i'm 20! I've been told it gets better....apparently...
Coma
New

Post by Coma »

randomage wrote:Sounds all too familiar mate, i passed my test when i was 18, first car was a 1.0 and that was 1250 to insure, 750 renewal though. Just bought a 1.6 as the old one got written off by a bint in a people carrier, and that's 830 for the year with a years no claims and the fact i'm 20! I've been told it gets better....apparently...
I wish i'd kept mine, sold her when i went to uni. Now going into my second year i want another.
I guess ive just gotta assume the position and pay up.
Anyone recommend a firm?
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

Best to try the insurance search engines like 'compare the market', 'money supermarket', 'confused' etc. Plus try Elephant too. :D
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

I'm with endsleigh, cheapest I've found anywhere. Decent people too, dealt with the incident quickly when i reported it.
Coma
New

Post by Coma »

Haha thanks, i tried the search engines but found i could get it cheaper else where already. For some reason they dont give the very cheapest options :x

Oh yeah i heard endsleigh or w/e were good with new/ish drivers
tesco did me well last year but ill have a look around.

Still waiting my next pay cheque so i can buy a new polo haha
Im jelous of you all i miss having my own car, driving my mums astra atm its depressing.
Thanks ^_^
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

Astra = FAIL. By the way coma, whereabouts in plymouth are you? I'm local to there, got a 1.0 polo i'm planning on breaking if you need any parts.
Coma
New

Post by Coma »

I know :<. Its a 1.8 16v W plate though. So its quick enough.

Plymstock mate, Only hear for another couple weeks before i move back to bristol.
I havent bought a new polo yet, so ill pass thanks, I've just had shoulder surgery so im carless
Thanks anyways
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Comparison websites suck. If your browsing then fair enough, but for serious quotes never use them.

for cheaper insurance on young drivers do some research and find companies that tailor towards you, also considering the fact that you may want to modify.

Companies to consider: Bell, Adrian Flux, HIC, Elephant and Brentacre.
Coma
New

Post by Coma »

Yeah bell and elephant gave me good quotes though if i wanted to pay monthly it suddenly went up by 750pounds.
I'll have to try the othersss
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

In comparison your car insurance is cheap compared to mine from the age of 22 lol. I've paid upto £1700 on 16v's first year just after an accident in a CL at £700. Therefore I had two policies for 3 months :evil:

As Tim said, comparison websites are just a waste of time. Do your research and see who insures yound drivers and students, if there's any prerequisits etc.

HIC and Brentacre have certain requirements so I think the insurers you've been looking at are good. Believe you have to be 25years of age for these two insurers.
Lowrider6n
Getting There!

Post by Lowrider6n »

the best insurer is adrian flux.....believe it or not...without mods declared quote at 1600...declaring: sound system, lowered 50mm, window tints, alloys etc... it went down to 900 its awesome! check it out!!!
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

^^ Did you ask them how that figure worked out? :shock: Excess higher?

Think I should get a 20vt convo just to lower my insurance lol.
Lowrider6n
Getting There!

Post by Lowrider6n »

yeah i phoned them up and was like...is this right!?! they said yeah...basically they believe if you spend money on your car...like coilovers and a stainless exhaust ain cheap that you want to look after your car and not rag it like some boy racer... apparently the people that do up there car are more likely not to have a crash because most things are uprated or modified e.g better brakes.. better cornering etc... its amazing jus get on their website and check it out, it takes like a day for your quote to come back but they email you with a price!! well recommended!!!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Lowrider6n wrote:yeah i phoned them up and was like...is this right!?! they said yeah...basically they believe if you spend money on your car...like coilovers and a stainless exhaust ain cheap that you want to look after your car and not rag it like some boy racer... apparently the people that do up there car are more likely not to have a crash because most things are uprated or modified e.g better brakes.. better cornering etc... its amazing jus get on their website and check it out, it takes like a day for your quote to come back but they email you with a price!! well recommended!!!
Haha, you hear something new everyday!