Skint and bored

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
ben3486
Bronze Member

Skint and bored

Post by ben3486 »

As the title really. Had the GTi for just over a year. Its still standard really, only put a red strip round the grill.
Got married this year and moved into our own house.....so not much spare cash floating about. Feel im starting to get bored of the GTi as I cant spend money on it. I dont want to sell it as i love the look of it.... but getting bored means I fancy selling for some thing old school cool.... unless you guys can give me some cheeeeeeeap little mods to keep me going untill i have a bit more spare cash.

Any one know where to get hold of cheap GTi alloys??....mine need a refurb so thought a second set could be cool to refurb or do a stupid colour as i refurb one set.... was wondering what all white rx2 would look like on a black GTi?

Also what size bulbs go in the number plate lights? I wouldnt mind some led ones like the new bimmers have.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: Skint and bored

Post by Tim_GTi »

Hhhmmm cheap mods. De badge? aerial? pressed plates? good solid wash and wax? aero wipers? colour code back of rear emblem? LED bulbs all round? food for thought. Don't give up hope, they're great little cars.

White RXiis, you decide:
ben3486
Bronze Member

Post by ben3486 »

hmmmm white RX's dont look that good lol.....i saw the "itll be all white on the night " thread on edition...his white RX's look mint.....but they are the 16" version...and lowered. yeah got the aero wipers, and toying with taking the Polo off the back...but then the polo GTi's are pretty rare so i like people knowing its a polo not a golf. lol

got the led side lights....t**t to fit lol...had to take bumper off as i couldnt get my hands into the back of the lights lol.

How much should a tatty set of RX2's go for or some solitudes go for?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

ben3486 wrote:
How much should a tatty set of RX2's go for or some solitudes go for?
Depends on tyre condition also, not much though £150-200?
ben3486
Bronze Member

Post by ben3486 »

cool....cheers. gonna have to get round the scrappies round here to try pick up a bargain lol
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

iv got some lowering springs goin cheap mate, 70 quid for eibach 60mm springs???

That will be a nice mod all lowerd and then get some rattle cans and start colour coding bits n bobs??

Got a nice standard replacment omp twin 3inch back box aswell??? Could do a deal for both items if you wanted?
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

Lowering can be done on the cheap if need be, and really does improve the look of your motor! Aero wipers are a tidy addition aswell.
Joniboy
Getting There!

Post by Joniboy »

Trottagti wrote:iv got some lowering springs goin cheap mate, 70 quid for eibach 60mm springs???

That will be a nice mod all lowerd and then get some rattle cans and start colour coding bits n bobs??

Got a nice standard replacment omp twin 3inch back box aswell??? Could do a deal for both items if you wanted?

I'm thinking of lowering my GTi soon and was toying with springs. What did the 60mm springs ride like?
Any photos of the car with them on?

I'm not sure I can be bothered with coilovers this time around - plus I don't have the money for them ;)
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

Joniboy wrote:
Trottagti wrote:iv got some lowering springs goin cheap mate, 70 quid for eibach 60mm springs???

I'm thinking of lowering my GTi soon and was toying with springs. What did the 60mm springs ride like?
Any photos of the car with them on?

I'm not sure I can be bothered with coilovers this time around - plus I don't have the money for them ;)

Yeah i went springs first to see what it would ride like and the result is ride comfort dropped like 15% but the sporty feel and handling jumped up 1000% its really worth it in my opinion and there eibach springs so you cant get much better mate, there on my shocks aswell so il remove them if you would like them,

As far as pictures go see my progress thread and iv got some before and after shots but a 60mm drop is really user freindly height!

Where u live?
ben3486
Bronze Member

Post by ben3486 »

cheers for the ofer of springs mate.....i really wanted some 60mm springs not long ago but couldnt find eibach ones ay whre lol....seen as it is christmas tho...its a new level of skint lol. Im just gonna have to be patient till the new year to tinker i guess lol
Joniboy
Getting There!

Post by Joniboy »

Another cheapish mod I'm going to do is fit the late model GTi leather handbreak lever with the red stiching.
They are on eBay for under £30.

Oh and have you shortened your door pins yet? That's a free mod :)