How do you remove a 1.0 '96 Polo Radiator

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Curiosity101
New

How do you remove a 1.0 '96 Polo Radiator

Post by Curiosity101 »

Hi there, just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction here.
The radiator is leaking, so I've bought a new one. I thought I knew how to change a radiator until looking under the bonnet of my polo.
Two things stumped me;
1. How to get it out in the first place, I thought un plug everything and unscrew then drop it down below the car?
2. If it isn't this and the fan needs to come off to allow access how do you remove the power cable going into the fan. I tried gently teasing it off but it didn't seem to want to come. And obviously I didn't want to break it.
Lowrider6n
Getting There!

Re: How do you remove a 1.0 '96 Polo Radiator

Post by Lowrider6n »

your in luck...first day i had my polo i had to replace the radiator on it... not a nice job unless you like getting ur hands dirty...the best way i found was to take off the front bumper, then the slam panel...be prepared for a shock, if it is anything like mine you mite want to pop down the the scrappies or main dealer to get a new one...mine was 98% rust lol, found a mint one down the scrappies and coated it in hamerite... i found this the easist way to do it...you then dont have to take the fan off,,, just unscrew it from the radiator.

you'll need a few sockets, screw drivers, wd40 lol, and hex screwdrivers...u know the star ones...and o yeah alot of time spare lol lol
Curiosity101
New

Re: How do you remove a 1.0 '96 Polo Radiator

Post by Curiosity101 »

In the end I gave in and bought a haynes manual. You're 100% correct about both rust and time though.
It took 3 hours in all. But it cost a grand total of £47 as opposed to around £140 if the mechanic did it.