Victim of the big freeze!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
dantheram
Gold Member

Re: Victim of the big freeze!

Post by dantheram »

took it to a garage today and they say it need a new steering rack and shocker, so around £250 - £300.

With regards to the body work, what is the minimum i can do to it to get it through an MOT?
rydale13
Getting There!

Post by rydale13 »

Well tbh your gonna need to get rid of all sharp parts of the car, like cracks or pretruding parts of the car. So probably a new bumper, your headlights would also need to be aligned correctly and fully functional. As you know, GTI headlights are far from cheap and the one that is smashed would need replacing.

Not too sure on steering, but I know MOT is pretty tight on brakes aswell, so your knock to the brake system is gonna be a expensive job too. Mate tbh I reckon the most viable thing to do is to break it. Remember the 6n2 GTI is a rare car and people are always after the parts! Especially the BBS rims u have and the rear bumber etc...

Good luck matey!

Luke
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

Breaking it leaves me the problem of not knowing which car to buy next and the associated cost of buying a car. Mending it leaves me not knowing how much im going to have to spend on an aging car that more than likely will become more and more unreliable.

Anyone want to help out here with a few insights, im struggling to make a decision.
rydale13
Getting There!

Post by rydale13 »

dantheram wrote:Breaking it leaves me the problem of not knowing which car to buy next and the associated cost of buying a car. Mending it leaves me not knowing how much im going to have to spend on an aging car that more than likely will become more and more unreliable.

Anyone want to help out here with a few insights, im struggling to make a decision.
Wel fixing it in its current state, back to a point in which you will be happy with it, id say easily, £1000 - 1300. yYour problem is going to be things such as paint and getting the steering corrected.

Headlight replacement plus Vag com realignment + probably ballast replacement (not cheap for oem part!)
bumper replacement + painting + any labour costs + slam panel
Steering correction + parts + 2 new wheels + 2 new tyres

And thats assuming that nothing else, further back in to the car isnt damaged. You can probably get some of the parts used, but you will be waiting a long time. When I was looking at buying my polo GTI I considered the following cars aswell:

Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Audi A3 (Mk1) 1.8T sport or 1.6 Sport
skoda Fabia VRS
Seat Ibiza FR or Cupra.

It all depends on how much money you wanna spend and how much time you have.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I'd say spend a few days looking for a complete doner car, i.e another silver GTi or polo.

If you can't find one, and/or you don't have a few mates that can help you out fixing it up to keep costs down, count it as a loss mate.

Paying full whack for a repair like that will be a regret IMHO.
Brad.
Silver Member

Post by Brad. »

Have a look on Club Polo, there seems to be a few GTi's breaking over there.
Look on Ebay too.
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

Just an update.

Still weighing up my next move. I reckon i can sort the wheel out for around £275-300, £45 for drumstick on steering rack, £100 for suspension an the rest labour. There is a silver polo with most of the parts i require being broken on ebay, cost of parts £650ish. then i will need to pay someone to fit the parts so all in i reckon £1200. that takes me to £1500 or so, which is a large amount.

With the car being 10yrs old and likely to encounter more problems as time drifts on i cant really justify spending over half its value in repairs, can i?
rydale13
Getting There!

Post by rydale13 »

Mate I was gonna do a £6000 engine conversion to my 6n2 gti. I considered it for about a week and then decided not to go ahead as I wont keep the car long enough to justify it. The way I see it is if your planning on keeping the car for a while yet, dont worry about its value for now as its not important, because your not selling. if your only thinking of keeping it for another yr or so. i would seriously consider a new car!

The problem your gonna have is finding something the same, or better quality than a polo GTI for about 2K? By no means easy! I think your best best would be a 6n valver, but then thats a even older car!

Man i feel your pain...
Brad.
Silver Member

Post by Brad. »

I WANT PARTS IF YOU BREAK :D
Fitting body panels on the car is an absolute doddle, give me a PM if you need some help.

Where are you based?
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

im in derby mate, thanks for the offer of help. im just weighing up how is easy it is to do.

Got a bonnet and bumper for around £160. then all i need is a respray, simple, i hope.
Brad.
Silver Member

Post by Brad. »

dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

Had the bumper off and all is not lost, repairs are minimal and i am confident of a good outcome for the old gal!

Basically need a new bumper and light, the rest i can slowly as time goes by.

Once again, thanks for the help,

Dan
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

back on the road!!
mboyle4
Bronze Member

Post by mboyle4 »

well done mate! where abouts in derby are you from? Im only 8miles away in heanor - dont see many gtis around our way really, how funny was derby's goal on saturday aswell!
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

from alvaston but that pic is in wirksworth. that goal was a classic just like the one rob green did for norwich against us!