Rear washer jet

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
laura_82
New

Rear washer jet

Post by laura_82 »

Hi there i need some help with my rear washer. The hose has popped off somewhere. My bf has checked inside the boot lid and its on the wiper motor fine so it must must have come off somewhere else, we just dont know where else they fail ? Its the frost thats caused it to pop off somewhere. We both have vws and know this is a common problem with vws as my bfs mk4 golf hoses pop off in the head lining so we just need an idea where else to look on the polo? :?
dsw88
Bronze Member

Re: Rear washer jet

Post by dsw88 »

i've just fixed mine today :D mine normally pops off behind the boot liner, on the left hand side pull the carpet asif you was going to change the bulbs in the rear light cluster keep pulling the carpet and you'll see all the cables running along the side of the car, this is also where the washer fluid line runs very silly place next to the electric wiring i know but there is a clip around that area that pops apart should be visable just look for a pipe in two pieces, not a very good explanation but if you need me too i can take some pictures :D let me know if you need them
jcarroll
New

Post by jcarroll »

Actually....

One of the reasons for this issue relates to your washer fluid, cheap rubbish has a high bubble content and if you buy VAG screen wash or generally better quality stuff the issue should hopefully stop.

Now, The pipe will have separated in the engine bay so you will need to re connect it here. As you look at the engine, look down the top right hand side and you should see the different pipes coming together. The easiest way is to get someone to pull the washer stalk inside the car and then have a look. Reconnect and all should be fine, but ensure you put the hose on the base fully to prevent it reoccuring.

Hope this helps
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

jcarroll wrote:Actually....

One of the reasons for this issue relates to your washer fluid, cheap rubbish has a high bubble content and if you buy VAG screen wash or generally better quality stuff the issue should hopefully stop.

PISH!! My friend you have been listening to the clowns in the garage. I run mine with water during the summer and after that coma at £1.00 for 2.5litres and had no problems once I fixed the problem.

As I have stated in previous posts on this matter. 1 Check the inside left hand side of the rear luggage area at the wheel arch it is behind the carpet and in the middle of the wheel arch. put a petrol clip on each side and make sure the pipes are in properely before tightening up. In the tailgate is the other problem a design flaw which has come from the golf as somebody earlier has quoted again you will need to put a petrol clip in there and tighten up this will then allow the system to work properely.

And you will be able to use any washer fluid you wish cheap or otherwise.

Hope this helps
laura_82
New

Post by laura_82 »

Hi again, thanks for the replies. We have had a look in the boot area at all the cables and it all looks fine there, theres no cables separated or anything like that so im stumped? :roll:
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

Usually pops off underneath the air filter box in the engine bay. If you squirt the washers it will drain out by the sill on the passenger side at the front if it's popped off here. The cold weather will tend to freeze the fluid if you haven't enough concentration of washer fluid in the mix and this expands the fluid and then "pop" because it has to give way somewhere. It'll go back on but you may want to use a zip tie just to give that little bit extra strength.
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

Hi Laura 82

Try disconecting it at the wheel arch in the boot and have the pipe go in to a bucket and press for the washer to work if it is coming out here then the fluid is getting from the bottle to the rear so no need to check at the engine bay. To be honest it could just be frozen as the weathr has been very cold -12 in Paisley last night and never got above -5 all day yesterday so there may be nothing to worry about.

I presume that the front washer is working as you haven't mentioned that. If it is then you know the motor is ok.

On a different subject my door lock on the drivers side froze up this morning got in but it wouldnt close and when reversing the door opened could have been nasty if this had happened on the main road fortunately a warm kettle with water solved the problem and off to work I went.
laura_82
New

Post by laura_82 »

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Ill pass them on to my bloke then he can investigate..hes into his cars and can do most things with a little help and advice. I on the otherhand know nothing and darent try anything myself lol so ill have to wait til the weekend now. I have to keep wiping the back window with a cloth and its gettin annoying now! Yes the front washer works fine which is why i thought it prob wasnt the freezin weather? Its been -5 odd today around here. Thats not good with the door opening!! It'd have scared me to death lol :)
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by pip_polo »

Hope you find the problem, mines juast popped off in the Fabia somewhere, but i can't be bothered to find it :lol:
All the possible places seem to have been mentioned.

And talking about the washer stuff you use.. it's true that the newer 'fan nozzels' can get blocked with 'gunk' if cacky stuff is used. mainly due to mixing two types off screen wash. If you popped a hose off on a brand new VAG car and you had screen wash that wasn't 'fan nozzel' approved then they prob wouldn't touch it.
GR33NIE
Bronze Member

Post by GR33NIE »

Mine recently done the same, ended up taking off the whole boot lid only to find it had disconnected in the boot on the left side :roll:
POLOZ
Gold Member

Post by POLOZ »

GR33NIE wrote:Mine recently done the same, ended up taking off the whole boot lid only to find it had disconnected in the boot on the left side :roll:
As GR33NE said, did mine today and it had popped off aswell leaving everything wet and one of the reason why my boot light kept coming on the dashboard display as
the damn sensor was all wet :evil: So if I was you, thats the first place I'd look into!!

There you go another common problem found in Mk6 Polo's :lol:
GR33NIE
Bronze Member

Post by GR33NIE »

Just been tinkering with mine yet again actually, not sure this is the same for everyone's but I had to loosen up the connection in the left of the boot because the wash would hardly spray up the back window when the connection was really snug

Seems to be back to normal now rather than a little trickle :D
nathen26
New

Post by nathen26 »

i had this same problem for a while now. Neither the front or back washer jets are working. At one point the fronts would want to work and trickled with water but didnt want to know after that. I put some decent screen wash in but nothing has happened. The motor sounds like its working but to no avail. :evil: