engine transplant

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
nathen26
New

engine transplant

Post by nathen26 »

hey guys. Im looking at changing my engine and would prefer to go for the 1.4i 1v sport 100bhp version. Does anyone know where i would be able to get one from and how much i would be looking at. Also would i need to get new drive shafts because its not a major power increase. Any feedback would be helpfull.
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: engine transplant

Post by david burton »

what do you have at the moment?

best bet is eBay / scrapyards.

Why do you want to change your engine?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

^^ditto. You'd probably be better of transplanting a 1.8t/1.9 tdi

Ash :)
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

Waste of time putting in that lump, drop in a 1.8t or 1.9tdi as said above
nathen26
New

Post by nathen26 »

i was originally thinkin of the 1.8t but how much effort would it be to have one fitted and what would be the cost of havin it fitted. i have a 1.2 12v at the mo and desparately want to change the power seein as i had a starlet turbo before this.
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

mate if you did want to do something like this then why not either save up for a gti? as with any car there dropping in value, but if you want to drop an engine into a 1.4 16v isnt really going to be worth it you might have just bought a sport one, so id say go for a 1.8t conversion! you wont be able to wipe your smile off! :D
Veedub9n
Silver Member

Post by Veedub9n »

nathen26 wrote:i was originally thinkin of the 1.8t but how much effort would it be to have one fitted and what would be the cost of havin it fitted. i have a 1.2 12v at the mo and desparately want to change the power seein as i had a starlet turbo before this.
I was pricing it up for TT a or S3 lump and it was adding up to 6.5k+ and that wasnt including a few things, such as the new map. Fitting (not supplying the engine but supplying the new loom) was gunna cost 2k alone.
david burton

Post by david burton »

Is there no other reason then you just want to do it or is your car heavily modified at the moment?

I just don't understand why you don't sell and get the 1.4 100BHP or likewise in a standard form with all the extras on the car already from the factory, rather than an engine swap.
nathen26
New

Post by nathen26 »

ive got the car on finance for another 3 years so i got no choice but to keep it. dont really fancy gettin more finance. the car aint overly modifed yet but i have a few plans of wat i wanna do. i was thinkin the 1.4 100bhp because i was lookin into super chargin it. i kind of liked the idea
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

ill tell you as iv owned one the 100 bhp ent quick at all mate... its ok for a 1.4 but nothing special... but supercharging it sounds good to be fair as i wanted to eaton mine but i sold it and bought another polo 1.9tdi sport its still gna cost u big ££££££££££ to supercharge it.
david burton

Post by david burton »

Ah OK that makes sense now. Just got to weight it all up. Don't mean to be a bah-humbug but I'd still think the cost of swapping for a new car would be less than the cost of a conversion. I am more than happy to be proved wrong though. :D
nathen26
New

Post by nathen26 »

yeai know wat u mean mate im just tryin to weigh up the pros and cons. just used to havin bit of power on tap and kind of miss it. i dont think ive heard of a 9n super charged yet but it will cost a fair bit i think
david burton

Post by david burton »

Best high power engine as stated is to go for the one that's already made for the car - 1.8T in the 9N3. If you get a donor and can do the labour you could end up with a very quick car. But there's always all the ancilliaries / drivetrain / brakes to consider too.
poloecosse
Bronze Member

Post by poloecosse »

wouldnt be doing a conversion on a car that is financed if i was u. considering its not actually urs