Electrical Project help please!

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Electrical Project help please!

Post by M@Turner »

Hello everyone.

Basically, i've just started my second year at college doing a BTEC and one of my subjects involves me doing a project!!!

Have decided for my project to produce an alarm system for a mountain bike as i feel a lock and chain isn't enough of a deterent for theives! If an alarm went off when trying to or after stealing it then there's more chance of the thief leaving the bike alone!

So what i'm after is you're knowledgable peoples opinions and help in designing a circuit that will work.

Some ideas i'm thinking of using incorparates tilt switches, movement detectors, pressure mats that will detect someone messing with the bike!!!

All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: Electrical Project help please!

Post by pip_polo »

i need to find a pissing project first. :twisted: :roll:
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

Hello mate,im a pretty keen cycling enthuiast and im an Electonic security engineer too.Sounds like quite an intersting project.I'd take a look at a product call Guard wire it's produced by a company called Geoquip.Heres a link to the product http://www.geoquip.co.uk/page/105/Guardwire.htm.

I think you could use this and it'll mean you can use it internally/external too.Products like movements detecters are very few for the external use pressure mats are extremelt dated too.

More than willing to give you any info if you need it.

Brad
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

Hey there, if you want a really simple solution why not try a water bottle with a simple tilt switch in it. to deactivate the alarm just have a simple 3.5mm jack wired so that the terminals are shorted except when the plug is inserted.
if you want to try somthing fancy you could always use an ardunio and a G sensor but I think you would agree that its overkill lol