Cheap full exhaust system?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
SlimDubs
New

Cheap full exhaust system?

Post by SlimDubs »

I was just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere I can get a cheap exhaust system for my 1.4cl 6n. Can be stainless or mild steel I'm not really fussed as the garage have quoted me £230 for a standard system (manifold down, including cat) with fitting. I thought that was a bit steep. I'm not really fussed about the power as it's slow as s**t anyway, but if I can get a stainless for £230 n then pay fitting on top of that, I may as well.
Preferably want a hidden tailpipe or bike can so nothings hanging out at the back :)

Any links or info would be really appreciated guys. Cheers!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Cheap full exhaust system?

Post by alexperkins »

The cat is where the money is in that mate. They aren't cheap!
l0rne
Bronze Member

Post by l0rne »

to be honest its gonna be very hard to do that, you can get SS backboxes from scrappers for not that much, get piping aswell for pretty cheap and then if u want manifold then might aswell see how bad yours is and if theirs nowt too bad jus clean it, find a friend or someone who can fit it, l=most of it is welding bits together

i have a backbox from an impreza nd got it plus fitting for 70 off a friend so just ask around 1st before going to garages they charge a lot for labour
SlimDubs
New

Post by SlimDubs »

l0rne wrote:to be honest its gonna be very hard to do that, you can get SS backboxes from scrappers for not that much, get piping aswell for pretty cheap and then if u want manifold then might aswell see how bad yours is and if theirs nowt too bad jus clean it, find a friend or someone who can fit it, l=most of it is welding bits together

i have a backbox from an impreza nd got it plus fitting for 70 off a friend so just ask around 1st before going to garages they charge a lot for labour
Yeah, all the quotes I've been getting so far have been pretty expensive. Don't need a manifold, just from the down pipe. I know the cat will be a lot so I might just be better off getting the mild steel one, it's a reasonably good one and they quoted me £170 for the parts then £60 for fitting. Would only consider getting a stainless system if I could for around £300 with out the fitting.
spankyban
New

Post by spankyban »

If the Cat isnt duff - why not get/make a cat replacement pipe, then pop the cat on for MOT time of year?
SlimDubs
New

Post by SlimDubs »

spankyban wrote:If the Cat isnt duff - why not get/make a cat replacement pipe, then pop the cat on for MOT time of year?
The cat was broken and all the honey comb was blown through the exhaust, so we managed to get most of it out and then as I was short of money at the time, rather than get a new cat, I just got a piece of pipe welded in to make it a de-cat and now its leaking a bit and has failed the MOT on emissions. So need a cat as well really :|
Don't want a fancy system at all though, a nice small tail pipe preferably hidden (or bike can if anyone has one) and then the down pipe, cat and silencer.