oil consumption

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Me9141
Getting There!

oil consumption

Post by Me9141 »

my 1.4 tdi seens to have gone through half of the indicated oil level on the dipstick in about 1400miles

is this normal?

had a full service about 1400 miles ago
its a 1.4tdi twist with 67k, doesnt chuck out any black smoke from what i've seen and i have been putting my foot down a little. mostly local driving
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Re: oil consumption

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Something definitely not right. I do about 7000 miles a year in my 1.4 TDi and there's no noticable consumption. Turbo seals? Piston rings?

Ash
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

Don't panic until you've filled it up again and retest in another 1000 miles.

Look at the manual, I'm pretty sure there are high tolerances on oil consumption (1/4 litre per 1000 miles). How much did you have to put in to fill it? Did you check your level a week after the service? It's possible not enough was put in at the service to fill the filter etc (not sure if the 1.4 has an external filter though).
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

Hi David I too as you know have a 1.4tdi twist and funnily enough it also started to use oil around the 60k mark to the point the dash light came on but a nice service with 0w 5 fully synthetic oil appears to have solved the problem as it doesn't go through any where near the amount it used to do.

I would say that it uses maybe a half a pint of oil every 15k to 20 k miles well within the stated tolerances. The car is now sitting about 85k now and the oil consumption is steady, no black smoke out of the back and no leaks at all.

Let me know how you get on.

Sandy
Me9141
Getting There!

Post by Me9141 »

i checked the oil levels after the service, i cheked it every couple of days. it went down by two of the lines on the dipstick after a couple of weeks. i thought this just could be because of the way it was parked or whatever. anyway i had not checked it for about another couple of weeks and had seen that it had dropped to half on the dipstick.

i intend to fill it up again and see.

i used valvoline durablend 5w 40 for diesel which meets vw specifications, as it was reccomended by the store.