What kinda wheels look good on a 9N?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)

What kinda wheels look good on a 9N?

18" Audi RS4 Replicas
74%
18" Toora T950
26%

Total votes: 19

Joy
Bronze Member

Post by Joy »

Ok, today my car has been fitted with the 17 inch S3-rims and 205/40 ZR 17 Goodyears.

When I first saw my car I immediately knew this size was the absolute limit. It looks great, but it's right on the edge of getting to big for the car. I don't recommend to go even bigger to 18 inch. It will cause people to say "those wheels are bigger than the car is". I can't blame them, 17 inch allready looks very big.

The wheels are exactly as wide as the car. No strange noises or uncomfy ride. The H&R springs are a bit more stiff but still comfortable. Oh, and don't fit lower springs when having the standard shocks. At least you need the VW sport-shocks. I found out that when the surface of the road gets really bumpy even the sport-shocks can't keep up. I might change that in future.

Big improvement is the handling. It grips like hell and changes lanes faster than my head wants to :-)
I also felt an increase of oversteer. The rear is more loose than it was before.

Steering doesn't become heavier (I was disappointed by that). But bumps and holes in the road are now delivered right into the steeringwheel. Now I have more feeling with the road. But you have to be more alert. Bumps in corners do affect the stability of the car. The tire does a lot less absorption.

Conclusion:

+ better handling
+ H&R still gives plenty of ride-comfort
+ looks awesome
+ Goodyears are feeling very very solid
+ less understeer/ more oversteer
+ girls do look ;-)

- need to pay more attention when on bad roads as the car is more keen on changing direction on bumps
- more oversteer (can be critical when right on the edge and not used to opposite locking)
- wheels are on the edge of the car, easily get damaged

Last tip for Aaron, don't go for 18 inch. On pictures 17 inch seems to be ok. But in reality I was still a little shocked of how big the wheels get when mounted on a small car like the Polo. 18 inch are WAY to big.

If someone likes to see the result, mail me for some pictures at jjelli@zeelandnet.nl

Greetz, Joy
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

Joy wrote: Last tip for Aaron, don't go for 18 inch. On pictures 17 inch seems to be ok. But in reality I was still a little shocked of how big the wheels get when mounted on a small car like the Polo. 18 inch are WAY to big.
how wide are yours btw?
but dont u think 18" is the benchmark now? 7x17" are sooo popular.
:roll:

Can i c some pix of your car on new wheels? :wink:

Thanks
Aaron
harry
Silver Member

Post by harry »

if you want 17's go for the exors they look the biz on the polo, personally tho i think 18's would look better and i wish i had got 18's instead of 17's, your right 17's are becoming too easy! 8)
Joy
Bronze Member

Post by Joy »

Check your mail Aaron, 5 photo's total of 3,5 mb.
jazzy
Bronze Member

Post by jazzy »

can we see sum pictures joy, and how low are ur lowering springs. i have 17s on my polo with sports suspension, and was also thinking of changing the springs, jus dont know how low to go, as the wheels are as wide as the car
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

harry wrote:your right 17's are becoming too easy! 8)
:lol: 18s are sooo tempting :lol:
Joy
Bronze Member

Post by Joy »

carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

Joy,
what Power have you got in your Polo?
mines a silver 1 too with front fogs and colourpack as options! :D
so mine looks exactly the same as yours (mines 5dr) :P

your wheels look absolutely mint! :shock: :shock: they suit a silver car and the S3s look bigger than 17" :? on other wheels, they look smaller, maybe the spokes go right to the rim? :roll:

your lowered sus -35mm suits the 17s but im not planning to lower it.. :)
ill first of all get the car (sunday. cant wait!!) and ill c what the arches are like!

last thing, how long do u recommend b4 getting bigger wheels? (mileage wise) cus i want the car to be "run in" b4 making any adjustments. How many miles (or km) have u done? :roll:

Thanks for your help! :D
Aaron
jon_poloV
Sponsor

wheels!

Post by jon_poloV »

not bad at all but i think its gotta go alot lower and perhaps some body kit!
what size is mole running?
jon
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

thank you for your photos, Joy btw!

i like them! looks sooo cool 8)

Cheers
Aaron
carmadaaron

Re: wheels!

Post by carmadaaron »

jon_poloV wrote:not bad at all but i think its gotta go alot lower and perhaps some body kit!
what size is mole running?
jon
i think it looks fine, with coilovers you will prob scrape the underside with speedbumps!

well 9Ns are fairly new so if u bought a new car (like me) u prob wont have much money 2 spend on modz. wheels are 1st on my list too!

Mole is running 7x17" Audi RS4s with 205/40/17 and they look smaller by some reason.

What width are yours Joy?

Cheers
Aaron
Joy
Bronze Member

Post by Joy »

No further mod's. The car costed me enough this year. Also bought a new one like Aaron.

My rims are 7,5 inch wide.

The space between the front wheels and the front arch is 2 fingers.
The space between the rear wheels and the rear arch is 3 fingers, that's the only thing what could be better. I think the front is heavier and therefore lower.

After 2 days of test-driving the new setup, I would like to admit that the shocks cannot keep up with the much stiffer springs. Normal roads are fine, but short bumps are a little to fast for the shocks. I'm gonna check this for some more days. Still the best is to fit sport-springs with sport-shocks.
Joy
Bronze Member

Post by Joy »

Oh, and I have done 6000 miles now.

I think the car can have other wheels immediately after getting the keys. Springs and tires have to settle for a few hundred miles, stock aswell as aftermarket. Most wise is to check the toe-out etc 2 weeks after fitting. Sometimes it changes.

But what might be wise is to put on some miles first to check if the car is ok. If you put big ass wheels (18 inch or so) on the car that VW doesn't aprove and something gets broken in the first miles you might encounter some problems with VW garantee.

Also it's more fun to explore the car's limits with stock tires and later on when you are ready upgrade the car's ride-quality with another suspension/ tire package.
Last edited by Joy on Thu May 27, 2004 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tim
Getting There!

Post by tim »

joy, your polo looks great with the S3s i've never seen them on a polo but i always thought they would look just right!

all i have to do now is to start saving the pennies to get me some of those! :D

Tim
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

Joy wrote:Oh, and I have done 6000 miles now.

I think the car can have other wheels immediately after getting the keys. Springs and tires have to settle for a few hundred miles, stock aswell as aftermarket. Most wise is to check the toe-out etc 2 weeks after fitting. Sometimes it changes.

But what might be wise is to put on some miles first to check if the car is ok. If you put big ass wheels (18 inch or so) on the car that VW doesn't aprove and something gets broken in the first miles you might encounter some problems with VW garantee.
thanks Joy,
how many miles do i need for it to settle? 500? or near the 1000mile mark?

i would like to put them on soon,
:)

Cheers
Aaron