Air MAF

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Air MAF

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

When i bought my GTI i put a Pipercross panel filter (oil based), this i was told fu@ked my Air MAF.

I bought a new one from the stealers :shock: and no lights on dash :D

Now 5 months later its gone again :shock:

in July i remaped the car to stage 2, but not had much time to drive it due to holidays etc.

Any way over the weekend i got to hammer it and enjoy the full potential of my lovely GTI :D, however i have done the air MAF AGAIN.

Am i just unlucky?

Been told they dont like shock?? I was at high MPH released the throttle and smacked it down again, I felt it hold back for a second and then lights on dash :shock:.

I have ordered a new MAF but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks
lm_gauci
Getting There!

Re: Air MAF

Post by lm_gauci »

I went through 4 mafs in about two years. Always kept replacing them and they arent cheap either, this was on a stage 2 ibiza.

I found it a lot worse when i had an open cone fitted instead of a panel filter. Have you looked at it on vag-com, could be something else causing the problems. Unplug it and see if it drives better.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

lm_gauci wrote:I went through 4 mafs in about two years. Always kept replacing them and they arent cheap either, this was on a stage 2 ibiza.

I found it a lot worse when i had an open cone fitted instead of a panel filter. Have you looked at it on vag-com, could be something else causing the problems. Unplug it and see if it drives better.
Checked on vagcom nothing else causing it just the fact we have high boost :mrgreen:

Oh well may have to consider 3" MAF or just be gental on the pedal and not so aggressive.

Or After market ECU and get rid of all the crap bolted to the engine :mrgreen:
Turbomier
Silver Member

Post by Turbomier »

i don't think it has anything to do with being "easy" on the gas pedal or not. :wink:
i have a K&N 57i cone air filter that is also oil based and i have it for about 3years (55000km done with the filter)
recently gave it a cleaning with new oil also.
and belevie me, i am far from easy with the gas pedal, it has seen all type of weather, did ALOT of dragraces and it's been on some cirquits, (Nurburgring, Zolder etc..)
and i never had a problem or warning light because of the MAF...

my guess? you are verry, verry unlucky, or there is another problem causing it to fail.
to much oil on the Filter maybe?

ps: a good tuner can remove the MAF sensor,
good things are: it won't get broke ever again and you can put a dumpvalve on youre car without having a warning light.
bad things are: if you remove the MAF, you won't have Cruise Control and ESP anymore... :|
noone025
Bronze Member

Post by noone025 »

Did you try cleaning it?

Don't think you can change the MAF without reprogramming as the flow would be different.

not had any MAF issues, how do you know the MAF is faulty?
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

noone025 wrote:Did you try cleaning it?

Don't think you can change the MAF without reprogramming as the flow would be different.

not had any MAF issues, how do you know the MAF is faulty?
As i only got it 5 months ago i went into my local dealer and they gave me a refund on the broken unit as it had 12 months warranty :mrgreen:

To be fair i spend alot of money with them and know them very well :D

Correct if i change to a 3" MAF i will need to map the car again.
But AMD also said i could have it mapped out so no more MAF but will lose my traction control which i am not bothered about anyway so if this keeps happening thats what i will be doing.

Anyway new MAF fitted today and all lights gone :D

When the MAF is blown/faulty the traction control light comes off and can not be removed and the engine management light comes on.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

ahhhhhh it's happened again :evil:

Got it booked into VW on Thursday for a replacement (free under parts 2 year warranty again) then taking it to AMD who will do checks to see why this keeps happening :shock:

I am getting feed up with these air MAF's.
Really considering mapping it out completely. I hate all these electrical things just reminds me why I love my Mk1 Golf so much.
RoSonic
Bronze Member

Post by RoSonic »

Why don't you try with a stock air filter for a while? And see if that is happening again.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

RoSonic wrote:Why don't you try with a stock air filter for a while? And see if that is happening again.
What filter do you use?

Am starting to think there is an underlying problem.

I have noticed on both occasions i was on the motorway with the car in front kicking up dust/debris so thought could be to do with the filter as i am using a Pipercross one.
RoSonic
Bronze Member

Post by RoSonic »

I have the vw oem filter.