Another Coilovers Question - Jamex, Technix, Fk, Ap, Weitec.

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
b1ondie86
Getting There!

Another Coilovers Question - Jamex, Technix, Fk, Ap, Weitec.

Post by b1ondie86 »

Hello all again (haha, I'm gettin a little embarrassed at how many questions I ask).

I know that coilovers are the best way to lower, better than lowering springs etc. And I also know that AP and Weitec coilies are like, "really good". They are also, really expensive.

I just wondered what people's opinions were on the other makes of coilies out there - I can find Jamex, Technix, Fk, V-maxx ones, but I love my car and don't want to buy really rubbish ones that are going to damage it in any way!

Has anyone had any bad experiences with certain makes of coilovers? Has anyone had any realllly good experiences?
NMavs
Gold Member

Re: Another Coilovers Question - Jamex, Technix, Fk, Ap, Wei

Post by NMavs »

I put the TA Technix on my old 1.9 TDi, 9n3. Thinkin because they are german, should be quite good. Me and a mate of mine fitted them, looked really good quality. But the noises they made where just unrealistic. Soo soo squeeky and cluncky. I must admit, steering and grip was s**t hot after puttin them on tho, and they went amazingly low. Certainly looked the part. But from the noise, i would avoid.

However, my mate had the same car, but he bought the Jamex ones, they are exactly the same in build quality, and overall lowering ability, but they were so much more quiter than mine.

Overall, i have learnt from my mistakes, and the sayin you get what you pay for is certainly true. If i was you, i would save and hold out for a set of AP's or Weitecs. Thats what am gunna put on my GTI this time around.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

I'd go with APs. Best bang for buck imo. They get good reviews on here. I can't talk much from experience (still on stock sport suspension), but I've had a go in a friend's PD130 Ibiza which is the same platform as the Polo and the ride impressed me. Wasn't nearly as trashy as I'd have thought.

Having said that, personally, I'm still going to go with the lowering springs route. The Eiback Pro Kit improves handling, lowers the car enough (not a fan of the slammed look personally, I think slammed cars look crap), and will be more comfortable than coilovers. And the Pro Kit "only" costs ~£120 new. It was actually the VAG official lowering kit...

Here's a pic of an Ibiza with it on:

Ash
b1ondie86
Getting There!

Post by b1ondie86 »

Hmm, thanks for the response guys!

I always thought lowering springs were "bad" for your car, ie. they damaged it in some way over time - is this not true? I agree with you Ash, my idea was to lower my car probably about 20mm - I don't think that's too much (when I hear people on here lowering to 50+!). Would you say if I only wanted to lower my car this much that it would be a waste of time and money buying the AP coilovers? Or any coilovers for that matter?

I just don't want to spend all that money when I'm not going to really use it to it's potential - and if I could have acquired the look and performance I'm going for (without damaging my car) with something else?

*drools at Ibiza* :mrgreen: When I was looking for cars I was split between an Ibiza and a Polo - obv. the polo won.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

The Eibach Pro-Kit is designed to work with the stock shock absorbers and shouldn't damage them at all. They only lower the car by 30mm, which is probably the safe limit for stock shocks. It's the cheapo 50mm and the like lowering springs that you've gotta be weary of. Stay away from H&R too. Whilst they're a good brand, they lower the car even more than the Eibach kit and are notorious for killing stock shock absorbers. Anything lower than 30mm and you should get uprated shocks as well...in which case you may as well just get coilovers. I'd just go for springs if you're not looking to jump on the "slammed" bandwagon.

Random question, but what engine do you have?

Ash :)
b1ondie86
Getting There!

Post by b1ondie86 »

Lol, I'll tell you everything I know about my car - you've been super helpful to me Ash, so the more you know, the more I learn stuff!

I've got a 2006 Polo E 1.2 engine - when I bought it a few weeks ago, nothing had been done to it whatsoever, it was standard. The most I've done to it so far is a few decals, new xenon bulbs at the front, LED interior light, tt pedals. Like you know, I've just got those Fox Racing alloys (which I just need to paint and get them 195/55/15 tyres) then I'll be fitting them on. So I thought, it does look a little high, but don't want to have it scraping along speedbumps and the road. Just a nice, subtle lowering is all I'm looking for - nothing too noticable.

I've had a quick look at the Eibach Pro Spring kit, this is what I found on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EIBACH-PRO-KIT-LO ... 2c52a21f55

So I'm guessing if I did buy this kit, my standard shock absorbers would be fine with this? It says it lowers front and back 30mm. Also, if I fit the springs, is there anything else I have to do? I read somewhere about getting the wheels aligned, etc. Just trying to figure out how much in total it would cost to lower my car.

Oo, oo, and I saw an old post - I think it might have been Chewy (not sure) who posted a piccy up of his 9n with Eibach 30mm springs - it looked purty. A nice subtle drop.

Thanks again, Ash! :D
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Yeah, that'll be Chewy with the grey 9n. Nice guy and a nice car.

You can get them cheaper here: http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_ ... Suspension

In fact, if you pick them up in person you can drop by and we can have a go at sorting the front fogs out. I'm not too far away from Venom. With all suspension mods, you'll need to get the tracking done at a garage immediately after. Should cost around £20.

b1ondie86
Getting There!

Post by b1ondie86 »

Sweet! So I'm looking at about £140 if I pick up the springs from Venom, together with tracking at a garage. That sounds better than the coilovers I was looking at. If I don't have a sport car though, should I invest in some sport shock absorbers? I'm guessing the ones I have on my car now are just standard shock absorbers.

And yeah dude! Two mods in one! I'll pick up my springs and by then I should have all the parts for the fogs - I'll just bring it all round. At the moment I have the list in my bag - have ordered some parts from vaglink so far - the grilles. I've never ordered from them before so don't know how long it takes to ship over from China. Yet to do a vw dealer order list - that's when I'll be getting all the little fiddly bits but hopefully will have put that order through this month sometime. Lol, then I just have to get the actual fog lights! :D
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

You need to factor in fitting costs too mind. I'm useless when it comes to nuts and bolts, I'm only good at electrics :lol: Not too sure how much fitting would be, although this garage I use in the North East (100 miles away, but I always go there lol...long story) quoted me £150 for fitting + tracking.

Shock absorber are the same amongst the range (Sport, GTI and all the others use the same shocks you have), the only difference is slightly shorter (~15mm) springs.