*My 9n Progress Thread* NEW LIGHTS - PAGE 4

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
JamieG172
Bronze Member

*My 9n Progress Thread* NEW LIGHTS - PAGE 4

Post by JamieG172 »

Right so joined the forum about a month ago and wanted to put up the slow-ish progress my dubs made so far.

Its a 1.2E "52" plate 2003 model. I'm 20 and can't afford insurance on a big engine as yet, so here's the cosmetic stuff I've done to my Polo so far.....

She looked like this the first time I picked her up:

Last edited by JamieG172 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.
JamieG172
Bronze Member

Re: My 9n progress thread

Post by JamieG172 »

I used to share a car with my Mum, a newer, 55 plate 1.2 S 5 door in silver. (Pictured next to mine below)

So when I got my own one, I swapped the 14" standard alloys off her S Model onto mine and kindly gave her my steel rims :D

So car looks slightly better sitting on a set of alloys now, and given a good wash:

Bought the car on very end of June and in the first week of July with the car having only covered 40k, one of the ignition coil packs failed :(

But I called the AA and they replaced the coilpack, and I had them change 3 new spark plugs in as well as I've heard worn spark plugs can lead to an ignition coil pack failing?!

Just a sneaky photo I took which I thought looked pretty cool, wheels need a clean though!

.....and another one, I parked next to my mates 1.4 Sport, I want to change my wheels and was considering just going for the smart 15" Sport Alloys, although thinking now I want to go for Monty 2's :D

Last edited by JamieG172 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vdub10
Bronze Member

Post by vdub10 »

looking good. good old trusty vw braking down lol

tom
JamieG172
Bronze Member

Post by JamieG172 »

So I got round to the doing my first set of subtle mods. I will need to replace some of/all of the exhaust soon enough anyway so will opt for a full system then but for now I opted for a tailpipe trim, twin chrome exit I think compliments the car nicely.

I also opted to get the back three windows professionally tinted, and I think this contrasts the blue colour nicely. Still undecided whether to colourcode the black rubbing strips or keep them in theme with the black/blue colour scheme. Opinions?

Unfortuneately the previous owner has put a cheap "GTI" badge on the back. Advice on how to remove this (and the Polo badge) without damaging the paint/leaving a sticky residue on the paint? Want this removed ASAP but haven't got round to finding out how to remove it safely!

The latest mod I've done is to install 9n3 rear clusters to replace the tired looking 9n ones I had in. I bought the clusters off a guy on Club Polo and has Ash make me up a set of adapters (Cheers mate!) so they were compatible with the 9n wiring.

Halfway, to show the difference!

Apologies for the low-quality photos, all taken on my phone as I don't have a camera! And *please* forgive the mucky state the cars in, I washed and waxed it a week ago but the salt and muck on the roads post snow has made it filthy already! :oops: :evil: :x

Oh yeah I've also replaced the standard Headunit with a single-din face-off unit with Bluetooth/CD/Radio/Ipod/USB

Next planned mods will be:

Wheels (priority) - Hopefully some Monty 2s/Monzas!
TT Pedals
Colour code the lower valence front and rear, door handles and mirrors - leaving the rubbing strips. (opting not to go for the Votex kit as I live in an area with ALOT of bodykit-hating speedhumps :( , plus its expensive from VW and rare to find on the 'Bay in the past few months!)
Central Locking System + Alarm
Chrome Rings for Speedos
Sports Seats (like those in GT TDi etc)
Xenons + Angel Eyes

And before you say it, no I'm not going to slam it - Insurance = £££££££££ at the moment if I modify it too much!

Comments and Criticism welcome! Hope you like :D
Last edited by JamieG172 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Lights are looking good, but I'm biased :lol:

I was gonna ask why the hell it's got a GTI badge on, then I noticed it was already there when you got it. Regarding debadging, heat them up using a heatgun / hot water (NOT boiling) and "cut" behind the letters using dental floss. Use some decent tar remover to get residue off.

Regarding your car letting you down in the first week...

Oh snap :roll: That was mine the day after I bought mine, from a VW dealership. Was 4 years old with only 23k on the clock. Bloody driver's seatbelt packed up :?

Only thing I'll criticise is the exhaust...think it'd look better with the tips sitting flush with the bumper, but that's me. I'd maybe invest in some Eibach springs...lowers it by 35mm, so it's not "slammed"...I always think non-sport models look a bit comical at standard height!

Ash :)
JamieG172
Bronze Member

Post by JamieG172 »

Yeah the exhaust isn't perfect, was thinking about investing in the GTI Rear Splitter as that has an exhast "cut-out" which I agree would make it look better and of course I'd have this colour-coded.

As regards lowering it, I'm definitely considering it, I think I'm gonna wait till I can get the new wheels on, then decide how much to go, 35mm or so wouldn't do any harm to be honest!

And yeah I'd sene that picture of your car on some other thread - I feel your pain! :|

But it's all good for the time being (touch wood)

Will give the debadging a go when I can get it in a garage where its dry and clean! Thanks for the advice!
JamieG172
Bronze Member

*My 9n Progress Thread* NEW PICS ADDED

Post by JamieG172 »

Right! So took the plunge and bought some new wheels last week. Opted for genuine VW 16" Monza's, as found on the 9n3 GTi. In fabulous condition complete with tyres, I couldn't resist so fitted them today to a verrrry dirty car, and took a few photos!

This one shows the the new wheels on the front and the old ones on the back (minus the centrecaps on the old ones as I had to get at the bolts!)

Fitted all the wheels and after a wash and wax session I took it for a mini photo-shoot with the new wheels:

Really happy with how it looks! Let me know your thoughts!
Last edited by JamieG172 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
88rsr
Silver Member

Re: *My 9n Progress Thread* NEW PICS ADDED

Post by 88rsr »

i think... it would have been better on montreal II's lmao :lol:
nah looks cool mate, does this mean i can slow down on my refurb :mrgreen:
JamieG172
Bronze Member

Post by JamieG172 »

88rsr wrote:i think... it would have been better on montreal II's lmao :lol:
nah looks cool mate, does this mean i can slow down on my refurb :mrgreen:
Haha yeah mate take as long as you want as I've got these now, I just couldn't wait to change my wheels lol!! :D but still interested in the monty 2s, so let me know as and when you finish the refurbs on the comps and you change the wheels over, I'll still take them montys off you, will either use them as a second set or put them on the other Polo we've got (9n3)! :lol:
88rsr
Silver Member

Post by 88rsr »

ah r8 cool, yeah i'll keep you posted, keep up the mods :mrgreen:
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

I have one thing to moan about badge would have been first thing to remove
JamieG172
Bronze Member

Post by JamieG172 »

g__humm wrote:I have one thing to moan about badge would have been first thing to remove
Removed the "I" part of the badge today, GT badge actually looks quite good but rest assured the rest of the badge will be coming off, it just started raining when I was doing it with the hairdryer and fishing line so gave up and went inside lol! Will have the rest of the badge off soon and get it all polished up!

Next things to do will be mudflaps, Votex Rear Roof Spoiler (if I can ever find one!) and thinking about tinting the front headlights.... :)
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

Mud flaps gd choice I had them before I got votex. Make the car look lower at the back
JamieG172
Bronze Member

Post by JamieG172 »

Yeah exactly, can't afford to go lower at the moment so mudflaps will make it look lower and more rally-esque without dropping it! Did you fit the mudflaps yourself? Did you clip on or bolt on?
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

JamieG172 wrote:Yeah exactly, can't afford to go lower at the moment so mudflaps will make it look lower and more rally-esque without dropping it! Did you fit the mudflaps yourself? Did you clip on or bolt on?
The genuine VW ones use three bolts that are already in the wheelarch, along with another two that you will need to drill pilot holes for. It's only about a 10 min job,, but the wheel needs to come off so that you can get access.

Car's looking good though!