Yet another Newbie with questions...sorry!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
abs66
New

Re: Yet another Newbie with questions...sorry!

Post by abs66 »

I'm in Warrington Cheshire. Is the VagCom thing really good at fault finding then? I'm new to all this stuff and appreciate any advice.
I know when to put my hands up and say "I just don't know jack"
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It scans the cars computer and any errors that are logged itll give you a specific error code for.

Make a new post with a Vag-Com request stating your location in your post and someone should respond :)
abs66
New

Post by abs66 »

Thanks Alex for all your help. Is there a particular section I should post in, I don't want to get told off lol.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

mkiv section is fine
abs66
New

Post by abs66 »

Thanks, I will do that now.
Ben17
New

Post by Ben17 »

alexperkins wrote:Theyll take it back fi you tell them its not working

I find it unlikely that the thermostat would be at fault, as the temp is measured on the engine side, and not the thermostat side.
I don't post often and I hate to disagree with a guy in-the-know, but this sounds very much like the thermostat's stuck open to me having had the problem with my Polo.
abs66 wrote:Hi Guys,
I've been reading your forums for a while and thought I had got to the bottom of a weird temp gauge problem so replaced the sensor.
The gauge has been reading normal when car sat on tick over but as soon as I start driving it goes to zero.
Water's going through the radiator all the time so the car will be at normal temperature when you're standing still. As soon as you start driving, the air cools the radiator. When it's been cooled enough, the thermostat should close and stop/slow the amount the of water going through the radiator to keep the engine at the same temperature. If it's stuck open, it'll be overcooled. If it's reading fine while idle, surely that means the temp sensor is ok?

I had the issue with my Polo so I bought a new thermostat and housing from eBay after some searching around here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Even at idle though, the waterpump is still running, and if the stat is stuck open, then the water would never warm up - it would be continually circulated around the rad.
Ben17
New

Post by Ben17 »

Maybe it's stuck closed then. I'm not sure which way around it is. :D If that's the case will the water then circulate around the whole system constantly?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

if its stuck closed, the engine temperature would just go up and up and up as its got no way to circulate through the rad
Ben17
New

Post by Ben17 »

I must've misunderstood how it works then. It also makes me wonder what the hell was wrong with my car as replacing the thermostat fixed the issue. :lol:

Cheers.
abs66
New

Post by abs66 »

Thanks for all the advice guys its much appreciated.
I think I will replace the thermostat anyway it cant do any harm at least.

Does any one have any pictures of the thermo housing and or pdf of the haynes manual I can have a look at please?

Cheers
Pete
abs66
New

Post by abs66 »

OK well changed the thermostat and that's fixed the temp gauge issue, thanks for all the advice, its very much appreciated.

Its got a bit of a hissing sound coming from near the brake servo so I assume that's another job! Is there any common issues regarding the servos?

I also think I have a wheel bearing issue due to a constant droning at about 50 mph I'm sure I read somewhere this is a common fault so will have to get searching again unless someone has a link to hand.
Is there a way to tell which wheel is the problem without stripping each wheel?
Will have another shufti at the forum pages again.
Cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

The brake servo pipe often splits. VW do repair kits or you can just replace the whole pipe (about 30 quid)

Pop the engine cover off and youll see what i mean