Break-In...

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Polo 2011 Moda
Getting There!

Break-In...

Post by Polo 2011 Moda »

...a new car engine.
Not got it yet & never had a brand new car.

Does it need breaking in? Whats the best thing to do?

I've read "Hammer It" for the first 50-100 miles and other things I've read are just keep the revs down for 1000 miles

:|
gavs
Silver Member

Re: Break-In...

Post by gavs »

See here, this guy builds race bike engines and has some very interesting things to say and applies some sound logic.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Interestingly, some old bloke who had been "building engines for 30 years" told him he's an idiot and he goes against everything that is known to mechanical engineers about engines, to which he replied along th elines of "well, if I'm such an idiot, why is it standard practice at the honda factory to fully load up and rev out the engine as soon as an engine is built?". He got no reply... ;)
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

I have used this process on my new cars and they have been fine. You dont really need to run engines in these days. As long as you don't thrash an engine from cold and don't max the car out until you have reached the recommended run in distance, just drive it normally. Common sense really. I would say you need to be more careful with the brakes so don't be heavy on them for a few hundred miles or you could glaze the discs.
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Post by BonsaiTiger »

I did it more or less to the mototune method and my engine seems to run ok, it ate a shed load of oil in the first 1000 miles but it seems like everybodies did on here so I'm unsure as to whether that had anything to do with how I broke it in.

I'm beginning to think that you would need to be pretty switched on with your knowledge of cars and performance to actually notice a significant difference between two identical engines broken in in different ways. That's a knowledge I am lacking in however so maybe I'm uninformed in that respect.

I spent a lot of time worrying about and asking people how I should break it in and as I'm sure you're aware opinions are like ***holes, everyones got one and they're generally pretty different. I'd say just drive it how you would anyway, and like Edi said be careful of the brakes and make sure you warm it up fully before you cain it anywhere, you cant do much damage if any if you stick to those principles.

More importantly, enjoy the s**t out of driving your brand spanking new motor!!!
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

abuse it from day one then it wears in nicely just wait till oil warmed up fully !!!! :mrgreen:
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

It's not a good idea to abuse any engine until it's warmed up, no matter how many miles it's done. You get wear in the bearings (especially big end) if you do, as the cold oil is too viscous to properly protect the them.

The motorbike guy isn't quite right about how it's happening, but he's right about what he's doing! The increased pressure is not going to move the piston ring out- it's acting on both sides of the ring. However, the increased heat from being run at open throttle will help to harden the rings, pistons and cylinder liners, and allow any slightly worn surfaces to properly harden too. However, TBH it's not really much of an issue with a modern engine, and, of the people who enjoy their cars, who can resist hooning it a bit? :mrgreen:
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Post by BonsaiTiger »

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a car lover and an early hooner.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

vc-10 wrote:It's not a good idea to abuse any engine until it's warmed up, no matter how many miles it's done. You get wear in the bearings (especially big end) if you do, as the cold oil is too viscous to properly protect the them.

The motorbike guy isn't quite right about how it's happening, but he's right about what he's doing! The increased pressure is not going to move the piston ring out- it's acting on both sides of the ring. However, the increased heat from being run at open throttle will help to harden the rings, pistons and cylinder liners, and allow any slightly worn surfaces to properly harden too. However, TBH it's not really much of an issue with a modern engine, and, of the people who enjoy their cars, who can resist hooning it a bit? :mrgreen:
Welcome to the forum and totally agree. So you got a Polo?
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Hooning?!

They lock you up here for doing that! One of the guys in the office got a fine for getting wheelspin in one of our 1 tonne trucks, taking off up a hill, in the rain with no load in it and trying to accelerate over a white line! Bloody nanny state.......
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

gavs wrote:Hooning?!

They lock you up here for doing that! One of the guys in the office got a fine for getting wheelspin in one of our 1 tonne trucks, taking off up a hill, in the rain with no load in it and trying to accelerate over a white line! Bloody nanny state.......

Yes a bit excessive :shock: May be it's because you are all POME's (Prisoners of Mother England), unofficial meaning of Pommy :D Sorry another cheap shot, couldn't resist a bit of banter.
Polo 2011 Moda
Getting There!

Post by Polo 2011 Moda »

I think I'll just drive it normal for a bit :P
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Polo 2011 Moda wrote:I think I'll just drive it normal for a bit :P
Yes but don't forget to go easy on the brakes for a few hundred miles.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Edi30 wrote:
Yes a bit excessive :shock: May be it's because you are all POME's (Prisoners of Mother England), unofficial meaning of Pommy :D Sorry another cheap shot, couldn't resist a bit of banter.
Was going to take a shot at the sporting prowess of the motherland, but then I remembered who won the ashes :(