My Poorly GTi

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

My Poorly GTi

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hey all...

It's nice to see the forum getting a bit more lively!

Just thought I'd share my woes with you all...

My clutch pedal has been creaking for a week or so. My usual dealers didn't seem too concerned (told me they couldn't book me in for almost 2 weeks :( )...

Got to the point on Tuesday evening that I was finding it very difficult to engage gears. So I popped it down to the dealers to ask if my appointment could be brought forward for someone to at least investigate/order parts... No. They wouldn't be able to fit me in until "a week on Thursday". :?

Drove home, crunching gears... Next morning, I could hardly get it into first, then whilst driving, found it almost impossible to change down gears. When I got to work, I thought I'd call another local dealers (who I have never used before)... They came and picked my car up from work within a couple of hours! :)

They brought it back at 16:00 (my home time from work - I was on earlies!) after replacing the clutch cable, so I drove the driver back to the dealers (they couldn't spare 2 drivers that evening - fair enough). Anyway, after dropping the driver off and having a natter with the service staff (and being advised that they thought something inside the clutch mechanism was buggered, and that they'd ordered parts which should be in on Friday) I started to drive home. Clutch fealt a lot better, nice smooth gearchanges etc etc...

Got 5 minutes up the road and went to change gear... SNAP! :shock:

Couldn't get it into any gear apart from 5th, so I rumbled onto the side of the road and called the dealers. :cry:

They came and rescued me, and took the car back to the workshop.

(I'm now driving around in a Y Reg Polo Estate (1.4 16v) - Which, it seems, no-one has ever loved - but it has 4 wheels and it's a VW, so it's better than nothing! :wink: )

Called them today, and they advised me that my pedal box has broken, so they have ordered a new one of them... and they've ordered a new clutch.

Hopefully it should be ready by tomorrow evening... I do hope so.

Anyway, to dealer #1, I'm pretty annoyed at you for not being bothered about my creaking clutch which has turned into a circa £1000 repair/breakdown!

To dealer #2, you've got yourselves a new customer (as long as everything goes well with the repair!) - Your customer service has met and in some cases, exceded my expectations. (which is hard cos I'm a fussy customer!)

Just hope my baby is ready tomorrow... I'd like to be able to drive it this weekend, and I'd planned a day of pampering for it on Sunday (hell, who am I kidding, Sunday is dedicated to cleaning her :oops: )

Thanks for reading my waffle!
J-O
Bronze Member

Post by J-O »

Well, I hope things goes right for you as soon as possible...

Are the reperations payed by the warranty, I mean is it a general problem on most of the Polo or a specifci serie?
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

J-O wrote:Well, I hope things goes right for you as soon as possible...

Are the reperations payed by the warranty, I mean is it a general problem on most of the Polo or a specifci serie?
well i hadthe same thing in the north between massingberds (sp?) otley and harrowgate
well done for pushing the matter most peeps would have left it and then voided their warenty by doing so
are you sure there is no syncro damage from all the "crunchy polo goodness :D

ps just to clarify j-o (not a flame in any weay shape or form)
reperations = repairs
and serie = series
dont worry i do it when i speak to english customers too :oops:
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hey everyone!

My Polo is better now!

They've replaced the clutch pressure plate, plate, release bearing, bearing sleeve, clutch cable and pedal box (and Ignition Switch bottom)

The car now drives sooo smooth!

The only little problem I have is when setting off in first gear, I get a little rumbling judder (not very noticable)... I will drive the car for a few hundred miles to bed the clutch in before taking it back... That might cure it.

It feels SO fast compaired to the Polo Estate I was driving around in... Which BTW had a 1.4 16v 100bhp engine! I scared myself when I accelerated properly! It is such a lovely car!

Anyway... I'm just glad it's sorted now

PS. I had to pay £126 for the Clutch Plate, Bearing and Sleeve as these were not broken, so were not covered under warranty, however I didn't have to pay any labour!
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

nice one i had to wait 3 weeks for a box so your probs took no time at all and dont be thinkin thats scary jus wat for that 13 hp mmmmm 138 bhp mmmmm :D
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

mine is at vw at the mo for same problem!!! should be done by tomorrow although there is a problem!!! vw dont have any cluthc plates in anywhere!! :shock: so i was wondering if any1 knows if i can get an aftermarket clutch for ur lil polos???
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

hey i just relised you said you drove the 100hp 1.4 valver and said its slow :twisted: :twisted: ive only got the 8v :twisted: :twisted: but i chalenge you to say its slow when im piloting her throught the twisties
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Mate, It was MUCH slower than my MK4 1.4 8v... Trust me, I know!

Must have been ragged to death, cos it was terrible.

I wasn't having a dig at 1.4s!
Grizzle
New

Post by Grizzle »

Just thought a would bring this back up. Because mine snapped today :evil: u bastard!! lol its in vw just now gettin all the work done under warranty including new clutch! :roll:
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

blackpologti wrote:mine is at vw at the mo for same problem!!! should be done by tomorrow although there is a problem!!! vw dont have any cluthc plates in anywhere!! :shock: so i was wondering if any1 knows if i can get an aftermarket clutch for ur lil polos???
theres a breaker of vw`s in leeds nead beeston called smashing volkswagens they might have one, maybe gsf or if niether have em then theres a garrage opposite smashing vw`s which will reface your cluch (they put 16v friction material on a 8v centre for my mates mk2 golf £5 yes a fiver and it was kevlar material all they asked was if they could keep the 16v centre cos there rare) it only takes about 10 min too
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

any news on the new noise josh?
leonsmith
Bronze Member

Pedal box

Post by leonsmith »

I've just had exactly the same problem on my W reg Polo GTi (50k miles). Clutch started squeeking, after a few weeks, I decided to book it in for VW to have a look. Almost the next day, it started cruching into gears, the clutch not apparently engaging enough. By the time it got to Polo the next day it was pretty hard to drive and impossible to get into reverse without turning the engine off first! VW mechanic sat in the car, pressed the pedal, and said "pedal box is broken" straight away. Didn't even start the car. Parts were on back order but they wouldn't let me drive it away (might have noticed baby seat in rear!). I got a brand new 2.0 Passat rental car within an hour. Very good service as always from my dealer. Took them a month to get the parts and sort the car (6 hours labour) but all under warranty and no charge at all. Car is great again.
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Good service from a dealer?! :shock:

So miracles do happen then! :lol:
leonsmith
Bronze Member

Post by leonsmith »

Karl.carr wrote:Good service from a dealer?! :shock:

So miracles do happen then! :lol:
Apparently so!

My dealer (Ridgeway, Reading) have always been excellent. I've just ordered my 3rd brand new VW from them, and one of the main reasons is their excellent service over the last 6 years - no quibbles for warranty fixes, servicing always booked in quickly and done on time with no hidden charges or mysterious broken items that seemed fine before! and the car is always returned immaculate from the garage.

Of course, the cars have been excellent too!
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

That sounds like something out of a fairy tale! :lol:

We have found garage worthy of the VW badge at last!!!