Lowering Help & Advice Please

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
MalakianCigaro
New

Lowering Help & Advice Please

Post by MalakianCigaro »

I did do a search before posting this, I found the odd pic that helped but I would like to get a few in the same place.

After owning my GTI since August I'ts finally time to get rid of the massive 17's the owner put on, refurb my rx2s and lower the car. I am thinking of getting a shock&spring kit, I don't want to slam it, I just don't want it to look too high on the standard wheels. I was thinking of around a 40mm drop.

I was just wondering if you could post pics of your GTI's lowered on 15's at different heights so I can get an idea of what 40mm 60mm drops etc looks like.

Also any advice on lowering would be welcomed e.g. what kits are good etc.

Thanks.
Bradley
Gold Member

Re: Lowering Help & Advice Please

Post by Bradley »

Mine is lowered around 50mm all round.I too didn't want it slammed just wanted to close up the horrific arch gap alittle.I also wanted a spring and shock kit but spent about 3 months looking for pictures of GTI's with a lowering kit and the standard wheels,i never did find the right kit so went for Weitec coilovers in the end where i could get the exact height i wanted without worrying if a £450 spring/shock setup wouldn't lower it enough.Have got some more pictures if you'd like some but it looks like this.

MalakianCigaro
New

Post by MalakianCigaro »

Thanks for the reply that height looks exactly what i'm after, can you recall which Weitec coilovers you went for? and how was the ride comfort? Also if you don't mind posting a few more pics I would appreciate it, thanks.
tombarrack
New

Post by tombarrack »

Hi mate, I've also got the Weitec kit fitted. I've got Hicon GT's (pretty sure these are the same as Bradley's). It's a really good mid range kit; similar build quality to kw's. I've got a picture of mine below. I've actually raised it up since the picture was taken, similar to the height above. Ride quality is rougher than standard springs/shocks but for me it's well worth the trade off. That being said, it's not uncomfortable on a day to day basis (my car is my daily driver) although I should stress to take extra care on kerbs/speedbumps for that front splitter. Already heard a sickening scrape earlier this week :( .

Here's it sitting quite low (down about 60mm on RXII's)

Here's one not quite so low
MalakianCigaro
New

Post by MalakianCigaro »

Thanks for the pics Tom, I wouldn't want to go quite as low as the first pic but at least I'm getting some idea of what to go for.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Its worth mentioning that Coilovers are more effective when you lower the car 35-40mm in terms of handling & performance.
If you want a good combination of performance & looks then go for the Hicon GT's & lower it to the same height as Bradleys GTI because it makes the car look much better and will transform the handling.