Better Sound from my TDI (without sounding more like a taxi)

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
lee_pantone
New

Better Sound from my TDI (without sounding more like a taxi)

Post by lee_pantone »

I have a 9n 1.9tdi and was wondering what I could do to make it sound better?
I have heard alot of different options from mates but wanted to see what you guys recommend. Any suggestions welcome!
Scotty9n
Bronze Member

Re: Better Sound from my TDI (without sounding more like a t

Post by Scotty9n »

Is it standard at the moment then ?

Airfilters gonna be easiest best to get a full induction kit if you really want some sound change,
or if you want to spend a bit more exhaust and then remap...
my mates has a fabia VRs has added a panel filter + jetex exhaust and a Revo stage 1 remap sounds alot better and is ALOT faster now on 180BHP
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

If ur rolling pd100 then don't increase exhaust size just remove the cat and silencers replace them with pipe. On a pd 100 the back presure with larger bore is too low can damage the turbo

Pd130 larger bore is advised as tuning potential is much higher
MODDED9N
Gold Member

Post by MODDED9N »

Would agree with Scotty9n.. Induction kit does make the car sound boss... I have a BMC CDA on mY 1.9 TDI 9n3 and it sounds great. I wasn't sure if it would work but it worked a treat! :D
lee_pantone
New

Post by lee_pantone »

Thanks for the comments chaps. Yeah its completely standard at the mo, well performance wise anyway. With thanks to MODDED9N I think I'm going to go for a BMC Induction and at some point whip out the cat and silencers and replace them with a pipe.

I was thinking of a map a while ago but dont think il get the most out of it due to having it so damn low, plus I aint got that kinda dollar at the mo.
6N-Toby
New

Post by 6N-Toby »

I have remove most of the system and installed a turn down tip directly after cat and it sounds abit like a powerful tractor with petrol undertones. Its defo an inprovment from stock, plus the turbo spools quicker, giving twice the response after a gear change.
6N-Toby
New

Post by 6N-Toby »

g__humm wrote:If ur rolling pd100 then don't increase exhaust size just remove the cat and silencers replace them with pipe. On a pd 100 the back presure with larger bore is too low can damage the turbo

I everything I have read on exhaust systems gives me the impression that all back pressure is bad. I can see it possible making your turbo spike a little higher on spool but what sort of damage does it do?

Also I remember hearing somewhere that if you degrease the exhaust velocity too much the after suck of a pulse will be very low and the turbo will have even more of a pulsey exhaust feed. Don’t know how true this is?

The bv39 Turbo is on both PD100 and PD130
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

6N-Toby wrote:
g__humm wrote:If ur rolling pd100 then don't increase exhaust size just remove the cat and silencers replace them with pipe. On a pd 100 the back presure with larger bore is too low can damage the turbo

I everything I have read on exhaust systems gives me the impression that all back pressure is bad. I can see it possible making your turbo spike a little higher on spool but what sort of damage does it do?

Also I remember hearing somewhere that if you degrease the exhaust velocity too much the after suck of a pulse will be very low and the turbo will have even more of a pulsey exhaust feed. Don’t know how true this is?

The turbo is not the same a pd 100 pushes 140hp max pd130 170hp with just a map. The exhaust studs are located in the same spot

And the backpressure helps adjust the vnt part when you change gear mainly so not enough and you get more of a laggy feel. The back pressure also helps push the turbine blade back to the bearings like it should against the thrust bearing.

That what I have read up anyway.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

6N-Toby wrote:

BV39 or Garrett GT1749V (commonly referred to as VNT15) on the PD100s, BV39A / GT1749VA (VNT17A) on the PD130s. And don't get rid of a cat / reduce backpressure too much with a VNT15 if you're mapping it. You'll get what's known as boost creep which basically causes the turbo to overboost at higher RPMs. Not so much of an issue with VNT17s.

Ash