Buying a GTi - Would you recommend one?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
SooperDR
Getting There!
Location: BECKENHAM, London/ Kent. Drives: 6N2 Polo GTI - Black - 3Dr.

Buying a GTi - Would you recommend one?

Post by SooperDR »

New to the Forum and I'm currently searching for a 6N2 Polo GTi.

I have read a lot about the Gearboxes/ Clutches, Pedal Boxes and Cambelts/ Tensioner issues on these cars.

However.. A lot of you have them, so even with all the 'faults' would you recommend buying one, in terms of 'fixes' and running costs..
and if so, now in 2011, what are the things to look out for and check (asides from those major issues) ??

Thanks in advance.
joe2612
Gold Member

Re: Buying a GTi - Would you recommend one?

Post by joe2612 »

It's worth pointing out that alot of the time, you only hear about people who have had Gearbox issues, rather than the people who have had perfectly working gearboxes. On all my 3 Gtis i've had with 80+K i've never had any gearbox issues as such. So don't let it put you off!

Having said that my gearbox will probably blow when i drive to work in a minute!
SooperDR
Getting There!

Post by SooperDR »

Very good point! Thanks Joe! :)

(Let's hope not!)

How do you find your GTi's have been in terms of running costs?
Fuel, Tax, Parts etc?
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

Fuel is okay, £30 will get me about 140 miles of mixed driving..

Tax i find extortionate for what it is.. 245!
SooperDR
Getting There!

Post by SooperDR »

That's pretty decent on fuel then!

Yeah Tax is a B***h, especially seeing as none of it actually pays for Roads or Road Users!

All seems pretty good so far!

Any other tips or advice at what to look at when buying, seeing as you've had 3?
gregperkins
Gold Member
Drives: 2011 Ibis White Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport

Post by gregperkins »

Good choice mate 8)

The GTI's really are cracking cars, so nippy, handle really well for their size! They look great for a 10/11 year old car 8) What colour were thinking on?
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Should point out they handle well when you change the suspension, the standard shocks & springs are shocking....excuse the pun

Very decent little cars and despite a few issues there is certainly something about them that other cars dont seem to have.
Just sold mine on the weekend after nearly 3 years of ownership, fantastic little car and its something i'm certianly going to miss.

In my ownership I did have to replace the Gearbox, Clutch & Cambelt tensioners but dont let "potential" issues put you off buying one

Ben,
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

all the facts figures etc are on here, tells you the 0-60mph the weight, towing weight etc etc

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/volkswage ... -2000.aspx
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

I would definately recommend one.

There are very few cars of a simular age that have a spec as good.They are well equipped little cars and great fun to drive.

Cambelt Kit etc should be changed on any car when it's due so wouldn't let that bother you.

Gearbox on simular power cars like the 106 GTI and Saxo VTS also are prone to breaking too it's one of those things if it's been treated like s**t it will soon take it's toll on the engine/gearbox.As Joe mentioned you always hear of people moaning about the gearbox but never the praise of many GTi's that have exceeded 120K miles without an issue.

The Pedal box was a recall on this car so a genuine fault,the orgional/early owner should have had this repaired at VW free of charge.

Tax is expensive for the car but then Tax if far too much on anything nowa days.A full tank of fuel driven very very well will see you around 380 miles,driven fairly with a mixture around 330 miles.Fuel wise they are pretty good little cars.

I would however recommend buying one with good service history and one thats been well looked after,i paid alittle more than most people for mine it had very very low mileage and exceptional service history best thing i did.
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

I have exceeded 400 miles on a single tank a few times recently, If I give it stick throughout the whole tank, I still get at least 300 miles, average is about 350-360 per tank with some stick and some calm driving.

I have had to have some things replaced in the three years I have had mine, gearbox being one of them but the mileage was quite high before it gave up and lasted about 2 years after owning it before it broke, CV boot and general wear and tear items, nothing major other than the gearbox.

This is probably one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned if I am being honest and I have had a fair few cars in the past.
SooperDR
Getting There!

Post by SooperDR »

Awesome! Thanks Everyone!

I definitely think after all the advice and recommendations.. I am going to buy one! :D

Ideally I want a 3-Dr in Black. However I must say that I actually really like the Silver and Red too, so not totally fussed on the colour.

Service History, Condition and 'Modifications' will all sway me on which car to buy.

I'm not a 'Modder' but definitely things like suspension and just subtle improvements will be needed! :)
Godderz23
Platinum Member

Post by Godderz23 »

[quote="SooperDR"]

Ideally I want a 3-Dr in Black.
/quote]

Yeah you do... :)
SooperDR
Getting There!

Post by SooperDR »

Apart from a 3-Dr in Black..

Anything else I want.. :?:
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

full leather which i have for sale :P
SooperDR
Getting There!

Post by SooperDR »

Ha.. Thanks Bepe, I haven't even brought the car yet..

But do PM me and let me know what sort of price you're looking for.

Any other bits I "need".. ?