Gold Member

Re: Using Oil!

Post by tt509 »

mine in next week
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

gavs wrote:Hey Edi30, don't suppose you might be able to get friendly with your dealer so you can get a copy of that bulletin, VW here are refusing to admit that there is an oil consumption issue yet.
I can't promise anything but I will ask for a copy when I take it in for the new rings.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

tt509 wrote:mine in next week
Is this for the investigation like I had last week?
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

I am still only 225 miles into my 1000 km test. Interestingly the oil level does not appear to have dropped at all, but I suspect it may just be that the dealer brimmed it right up (more than I was doing), so I don't think it has magically been cured!
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

Edi30 wrote:
tt509 wrote:mine in next week
Is this for the investigation like I had last week?
yes mate
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

I can't promise anything but I will ask for a copy when I take it in for the new rings.
Cheers mate, many an australian gti owner will be appreciative! :)
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

Fook. That I'm gunna. Leave my engine never be the same if they rebuild it just wait till it pops then get a new one
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

whitegtipolo wrote:Fook. That I'm gunna. Leave my engine never be the same if they rebuild it just wait till it pops then get a new one
????? :?
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Update

Car has now done a 1000 miles since the Part Upgrade / Engine Rebuild. And the oil light came on. so topped it us it took a full litre and only went to the middle of the dipstick.

I think this is going to be one of those cars that will keep the oil companies very happy for a long long time. I am going to let my dealer know but i don't hold out much hope for a solution.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

big_amir wrote:Update

Car has now done a 1000 miles since the Part Upgrade / Engine Rebuild. And the oil light came on. so topped it us it took a full litre and only went to the middle of the dipstick.

I think this is going to be one of those cars that will keep the oil companies very happy for a long long time. I am going to let my dealer know but i don't hold out much hope for a solution.
Don't like the sound of that big_amir, so did you have the upgraded piston rings? Of course the engine will be partly running in again so will use more oil anyway, but again sounds like consumption is more than should reasonably be expected.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

skipster wrote:
big_amir wrote:Update

Don't like the sound of that big_amir, so did you have the upgraded piston rings? Of course the engine will be partly running in again so will use more oil anyway, but again sounds like consumption is more than should reasonably be expected.
Oh dear this does not appear to be the fix we had hoped for, all that work to replace the rings and no real difference. I will be keen to hear the result of the trip to the dealer. I have not heard anything from my dealer as yet so have no date for the new rings to be fitted to my car.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Just over halfway through the 1000km test now (up to 325 miles), and this afternoon I saw a big plume of blue exhaust smoke when accelerating, I had not seen this for quite a while which made me think it was settling down somewhat, false hope that was! :(

I will mention to my dealer that it will be coming back in within the next few weeks!
dav
New

Post by dav »

I have just completed my 1000k test as well, but instead of a likely piston ring replacement its going to be a replacement of the internal oil seal (not the valve stem). The information I got was that with the engine some oil is mixed in with the fuel and in my case the faulty seal is leaking too much oil and its getting burnt off... anyone know of this? :/

The damn thing has to be taken in again for a 3 day job, but that's in a month so until then I get to drive around and burn off more oil in the engine... I guess it's not problematic enough to keep off the road.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

hey dav,

I'd say your chain is being yanked. Oil mixes with the fuel? So your car is a 2 stroke engine according to VW. Ask them how the oil, which will seperate (being fully synthetic) in the petrol, doesn't harm the direct injection fuel injectors that are running at such a high pressure, the viscosity of the oil would destroy them. The oil that gets burned is due to how the pistons are toleranced against the bores. The car will burn more than others due to how VW want to get their fuel efficiency figures. Lower internal friction means less resistance, meaning the engine doesn't need to work as hard to get into and keep in motion. They do this by letting some of the oil slip by the piston rings so that they dont fully scrape the bores.

I'd really like to know if globally, bare-faced lying is part of VW's service and sales staff training..... Seems us aussies aren't the only ones dealing with VW bulls*it.
Last edited by gavs on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dav
New

Post by dav »

Not much to do, just going to have to sit tight and see what happens when the car goes in. Might have to request some sort of compression test afterwards...

Also, if there is a copy of the tech bulletin please let me know too :)