Which fuel?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
AJ_7
Gold Member

Which fuel?

Post by AJ_7 »

Hi guys, been reading about using 95 RON and 98 RON, Shell V-Power etc. I'm just wondering what fuel you use in your Polo and do you notice any difference in performance or efficiency when you use the so called premium fuels? Do you feel the extra cost worth it?

Cheers,

Alex
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Re: Which fuel?

Post by mashmarriner »

Ad say it depends what polo u have for example u will not really be able to tell in mine (1.2 70bhp moda) but if u have a 1.4 180bhp gti I think that's wen u be able tell the difference
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

GTI recommends to run no less then 98RON. I used to be able to tell the difference between normal 95 RON and 98 RON, 99 RON (tescos ultimate) in my REVO stage 1 9n3 GTI. But, as previous post, if its a 1.2 you aint gunna be feeling / seeing much difference for your hard earned pennys :(
JoshGTI
Bronze Member

Which fuel?

Post by JoshGTI »

In my 9n3 gti with a custom map I run 99Ron as it is mapped to do so.

I have tired running Tescos Momentum and to be honest my car ran like a pile of turd! if your going to run your car on any of the premium fuels I would go for V-Power or BP Ultimate.

You will get better MPG on the V-Power and BP Ultimate also.

It should tell you in your owners handbook what fuel your car should be run on in it's standard form.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

mashmarriner wrote:Ad say it depends what polo u have for example u will not really be able to tell in mine (1.2 70bhp moda) but if u have a 1.4 180bhp gti I think that's wen u be able tell the difference
I have a 1.2 TSi (105 bhp)

I've looked through the owners manual but the information on which fuel to use is very vague. However it does state "The vehicle may be refuelled with petrol that has a higher octane number than the engine requires. This does not, however, provide any advantage as regards the fuel consumption or the engine output."

The inside of the fuel cap says 95 RON minimum though.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

AJ_7 wrote:
mashmarriner wrote:Ad say it depends what polo u have for example u will not really be able to tell in mine (1.2 70bhp moda) but if u have a 1.4 180bhp gti I think that's wen u be able tell the difference
I have a 1.2 TSi (105 bhp)

I've looked through the owners manual but the information on which fuel to use is very vague. However it does state "The vehicle may be refuelled with petrol that has a higher octane number than the engine requires. This does not, however, provide any advantage as regards the fuel consumption or the engine output."

The inside of the fuel cap says 95 RON minimum though.
I always run my Polo GTI on V-Power and get very good fuel consumption average 42-45. I remember seeing a programme on TV where they took a small engined Fiesta or smilar, Golf GTI MK5 and a Scooby and did tests with 95 and 98/99 octane fuels. The tests were just on a rolling road I think and the results showed no increase in power for the Fiesta, about 8-10% increase in the Golf and 15+% in the Scooby when comparing 95 to 98/99.

Also just been on a driving tour in Europe in my Golf GTI MK6 (2500 miles) and tried various different makes if fuel but all 98 Octane. There was no perceivable difference in power but the branded fuels like Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate gave much better fuel consumption approx 10% better. I always try a put V-power in this too as it just runs so sweetly

So if you have a turbo engine with circa 200 BHP the engine will benefit from better fuel in terms efficiency and putting the premium fuel in is worth the extra expense.
JoshGTI
Bronze Member

Which fuel?

Post by JoshGTI »

A guy in my local VW forum had his mk5 gti rolling roaded completely standard running on V-Power and it made 212bhp.

Turbo engines defiantly benefit from super unleaded.
JasonPollock
New
Drives: polo

Post by JasonPollock »

I am a strong believer in running Super Unleaded in 200bhp + cars, but it can't be a tenner here and a tenner there, it has to be regularly used to see the benefit.

In northern ireland there isnt a single garage that does 98RON so I make do with a selection of 97RON or 97RON plus 'Silkolene Pro Boost' fuel additive which i find when used reglarly makes a notable difference. Also a few friends with 2.0TFSI's, 2.0TSI's and 3.0 FSI's, (some re-mapped and some not) all find similar improvements with these.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

97ron sainsburys super seems good enough for my polo
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

daydotz wrote:97ron sainsburys super seems good enough for my polo
Try V-Power and the fuel consumption should increase :D
Stiggy
Getting There!

Post by Stiggy »

I've had my GTI for 2 weeks, and I've only just noticed the '98 octane' label inside the fuel cap :oops:

I hope putting 95 octane in it hasn't casued any problems. I will wait until it's empty and put 97/98 in next time and see the difference!
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

no mate...
Last edited by Dub_Dan on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

Stiggy wrote:I've had my GTI for 2 weeks, and I've only just noticed the '98 octane' label inside the fuel cap :oops:

I hope putting 95 octane in it hasn't casued any problems. I will wait until it's empty and put 97/98 in next time and see the difference!

i highly doubt it will have buddy the car just wont drive as nice as it would with higher octane fuel. (but i imagine over a long period of time it may do damage...)
i noticed the difference when i had my polo diesel remapped it drives much nicer with v power diesel to standard fuel...
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

I've looked at a few options of premium fuel. BP and V-power being the best. Ive always stuck to V power for a number of reasons.

1. There is a shell 2 minutes down the road from me which is an important factor to take into consideration.

2. I ran my 200bhp 9n3 gti on Bp and there was a small difference between vpower and BP.

3. Rewards points - Shell give you great rewards schemes on V-power loyalty cards, 2 point for every litre and you get vouchers for free petrol every quater. Combine that with paying on a barclays credit card that gives you reward points it almost offsets the cost difference between 95 and vpower in loyalty points! compare that to nectar points from BP and its an amazing scheme.