confused.com!!

Discuss In Car Entertainment
M54 SINGH
Bronze Member

confused.com!!

Post by M54 SINGH »

i have a kicker crv12 sub (12"), here are the specs: http://www.kicker.com/compvr_aluminized
so basically i blew my amp the other day, and dont know what amp to get to power my sub to its full potential. any help would be much appreciated 8)
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: confused.com!!

Post by fonzooorooo »

It's a 4 ohm (nominal) driver, and the manufacturer recommends a max. amp power of 1000W. So... you'll presumably want an amp which delivers 1000W into 4 ohms.

Thing is, depending on the cabinet the driver's in, the impedance at low frequency is likely to drop well below 4 ohms. (likely to be why your old amp died!) so I'd look for an amp which is 2 ohm stable. With the sub playing such a limited frequency range though, it could be sitting at well below 4 ohms most of the time. You'd need to pop a meter in line whilst playing frequency sweeps (or similar) to find the impedance at different pitches.

All this stuff is massively dependent on the cabinet - back in the day, they used to design speaker cabinets using pretty much only the impedance plot and what looked "right".