Dodgy window and central locking electrics

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Jay_g
New

Dodgy window and central locking electrics

Post by Jay_g »

Hi guys

I tried searching but got nothing useful, so wondered if anyone could help. Iv got a w reg polo 6n2, and all of a sudden today my electrics have been playing up. First, if I press down on the passenger window button, it goes down fine, but then when I press to make it go back up, it goes down instead? BUT on the passengers door window switch (not ony door) it works fine. My drivers side doesnt work at all, and the central locking locks whether I press lock or unlock (I.e both do the same thing)

Iv taken the switch off and swapped them round, but it still does the same so it eliminates the switches (at least for the windows), so has anyone got any ideas? I have an aftermarket cobra alarm, it looks like they've joined cables inside the grommet going from door to car body, and the grommet on the door has a split on it, could water got in there and caused it?

If anyone has any ideas id appreciate it a hell of alot
rafcoppa
New

Re: Dodgy window and central locking electrics

Post by rafcoppa »

Thats freaky as mine is doing exactly the same. Drivers side wont budge at all. Passenger side works fine with passenger side switch but only goes down on drivers side switch. Ive also exchange switches with a spare set I had and it made no difference. I had a spare convienance ECU from a GTi, so pulled the dash to fit this, only to find out my TDi SE doesnt have one! I checked on vagcat and it appears unless you have remote central locking from the factory, the windows are controlled from the drivers side window regulator motor, so thats going to be my next port of call for atempting to fix the issue.

Maybe not alot of help but at least you know your not the only one out there experiencing this!

Tom
Jay_g
New

Post by Jay_g »

Thanks for your reply mate!! Was definetlly helpful. Someone did mention that on lupo, golfs etc have a control unit in the drivers door, black box behind the door card, has various multiplugs!
rafcoppa
New

Post by rafcoppa »

Ill have a look in the door this week if I get the chance and the weathers not too cold. Ive got to put new discs and pads on all round as it is!
Jay_g
New

Post by Jay_g »

Have you looked at the plug that goes in to the car? Appearntly there prone to getting wet haha, and the pins corrode, I'm glnna check mine tonight. Need to check the loom too but as you probably allready know that's not gonna be easy!
billyc1993
New

Post by billyc1993 »

ive got a similar problem with my passenger window, to make it go down you put the switch into the up position, and when it does go down it only goes down a little at the time and most the time it struggles to go back up and sometimes doesnt at all, i took the door card off today and couldnt see any problems with the immedately showing wires, could anyone give me a hand aswell? :D
osborne18
New

Post by osborne18 »

Either slam tha door when holding down the window switch and it may free them

or

take your swtich apart easily and carefully and clean them , the amount of dirt in them
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

My old Fabia did this - one of the fuses was blown, made some very odd things happen!

On my Golf, I removed the central fuse to check another circuit, which meant the wiper stalk would only operate the rear wiper, regardless of where I put it.

In short - check the fuses for both sides!