door locking problems

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
mikegti
Silver Member

door locking problems

Post by mikegti »

It has been a while since I had my polo, but my sister has a 2000 'W' 1.4 6n2, and is having trouble with the door locks.

When she got the car it only had one key, without buttons, so no remote locking.
The passenger door does not unlock when you use the key in the driver's door, and I don't think it has ever unlocked the passenger door from the outside either... but the door pin unlocks it.

Driver's door lock became very stiff, and now won't unlock the car at all, so she has been reaching through from the boot to pull the button up :roll:

my first question is - did VW sell these polos without central locking? Or is it likely that the locking mech in the passenger door could have been disconnected from the central locking in some way?

I'm not around to have a look at the car myself at the moment, but after someone having a look at the door internals and trying the fixing kit, now she can't lock the car.

so the second question is: does anyone know where I can get a set of red handles, barrels and all the gubbins so that we can change both door handles and have a matching key? I've been looking on ebay already.

Hope the above makes sense!
Cheers
Mike
benmkiv
Platinum Member

door locking problems

Post by benmkiv »

In answer to the first question, yeah they were sold without central locking. Mine doesn't have it. Doesn't meant say it didnt have it but it's possible check in the boot for the central locking pump. Secondly just keep checking out eBay they come up a fair bit even of you just get the printed ones and get them sprayed
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

door locking problems

Post by red6n2 »

The locking pump will be in the boot on the right hand side under the carpet wall just twist the plastic licks and pull it it will be a blue and White box just need to make sure
All wired are connected properly.
red6n2

door locking problems

Post by red6n2 »

And for the second question I'd say breakers or just vw for barrels and just look for breaking cars on here and club polo for handles. Even if you have to spray them red, I would pay more than say £20 for the pair either.
mikegti
Silver Member

Re: door locking problems

Post by mikegti »

Thanks for the info, will look for the pump and continue the search for handles. I don't know why she waited until everything broke before trying to fix it ...

The other issue with the car is the driver's window goes down on the switch, but won't come back up again (and struggles doing it) unless using the key in the door. (although it probably doesnt work at all now lol)
I think this is likely to be worn brushes on the motor, coupled with maybe a dodgy connection/switch?
red6n2

Post by red6n2 »

the wiondow sits on two prongs, its likely one is broken, common fault you will have to take the doorcard off and create like a cable tie fix, you will see what i mean once you have a look.
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

Thanks red6n2, I will pass on the info.

There is a central locking pump in the boot, so I guess it worked at one point in time!
red6n2

door locking problems

Post by red6n2 »

Check the pipes around it, as they need to be air tight as it's a vacuum system.
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

red6n2 wrote:Check the pipes around it, as they need to be air tight as it's a vacuum system.
there is only one pipe to that box, which is a tight fit, should there be any others?
red6n2

door locking problems

Post by red6n2 »

Ah no apologies you are correct you may need to trace it back to find a split let me chech my pump and il get back to you.
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

Sorry, forgot to update this thread...
Well thanks to the info on here I found a broken prong on the window guide so did a cable tie fix, and we sorted out all 3 barrels and got new springs and paddles fitted, so window and locking works again :D
next on my list is to check out power supplies to the central locking units and see if I can get the pump to operate!
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

if you need a pump mate, i have several available