Cambelt Change?!

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
AAGTI
Getting There!

Cambelt Change?!

Post by AAGTI »

Sorry if this has been covered in another post?!

When should you look to have cambelt changed?!

Pretty sure mines not been done......2006 '06 Plate with around 38,000miles.

Also, has anyone had this done at VW? Prices paid?

Ta!!
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Cambelt Change?!

Post by benmkiv »

Extortion but it should be done I believe it's 30 or 60k or 5 years usually. Mad money at vw..
rover220
Gold Member

Re: Cambelt Change?!

Post by rover220 »

benmkiv wrote:Extortion but it should be done I believe it's 30 or 60k or 5 years usually. Mad money at vw..
In other words you don't have a clue.
Voodoo
New

Post by Voodoo »

looking in the service schedule in my book i cant see where it says to change it, all the book says is to check the camshaft drive belt at 60,000 miles then every 20,000 miles after that. My GTi is also an '06 polo with 43,000 miles on it so i hope its not every 5 years as it has not been done yet :?

on a side note is it worth it getting the cambelt changed before a remap?
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Cambelt Change?!

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

60000 or every 4 years.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

9N3 Turbo wrote:60000 or every 4 years.
This

Anyone else think that this is asked so many times it should be a sticky? Not meaning to have a go at anybody but I count two of these threads on the first page of the board...
TehSniper
Bronze Member

Post by TehSniper »

ive just had mine done...56 plate with 37,000 on, only had it done for peace of mind, local dealer is charging 300 quid for it at the moment. only had it done because of the age really, better to have it done than it snap and cost alot more
AAGTI
Getting There!

Post by AAGTI »

Cheers!! Anyone know if getting this done at a garage elsewhere to a "VW dealers" would mess with my warranty as i got two years warranty when i bought her in Oct' 2011?!
mboyle4
Bronze Member

Post by mboyle4 »

Just had mine done as part of the deal prior to collecting the car but on the invoice it came to £283 - £150 labour - £133 parts. This was at a independant non-vw garage so if you can get it done for £300 at VW I would go for it. I was told it needed doing every 4 years so our 06 gti on 46k was quite overdue.
AAGTI
Getting There!

Post by AAGTI »

mboyle4 wrote:Just had mine done as part of the deal prior to collecting the car but on the invoice it came to £283 - £150 labour - £133 parts. This was at a independant non-vw garage so if you can get it done for £300 at VW I would go for it. I was told it needed doing every 4 years so our 06 gti on 46k was quite overdue.
Cheers, yeah mine is overdue!! VW want £399 all in thats to do water pump aswell.

I asked re' warranty and they said it didn't matter about getting work done elsewhere or services etc to keep up with warranty.

Unless of course the work they have done causes the problem?!
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Cambelt Change?!

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

I have had all my services done at VW but had the cam belt done at VW Enterprise in London because I know him. I am more than capable of doing this all myself but it's just for the stamp in the book. Plus every 5000 I change the oil and oil filter And every 10,000 I change the plugs as I run the Audi S2 ones as these run colder although they work out at about £45 for 4 of them from the dealers.
AAGTI
Getting There!

Post by AAGTI »

9N3 Turbo wrote:I have had all my services done at VW but had the cam belt done at VW Enterprise in London because I know him. I am more than capable of doing this all myself but it's just for the stamp in the book. Plus every 5000 I change the oil and oil filter And every 10,000 I change the plugs as I run the Audi S2 ones as these run colder although they work out at about £45 for 4 of them from the dealers.
Cheers junior!! My mates a mobile Mechanic, can stamp my book and everything and has said £250 all in!! But upto now the lady that own her before has had everything done at VW!!

Are you a Mechanic by trade fella? or just a bit useful with a spanner? :lol:
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

AAGTI wrote:
9N3 Turbo wrote:I have had all my services done at VW but had the cam belt done at VW Enterprise in London because I know him. I am more than capable of doing this all myself but it's just for the stamp in the book. Plus every 5000 I change the oil and oil filter And every 10,000 I change the plugs as I run the Audi S2 ones as these run colder although they work out at about £45 for 4 of them from the dealers.
Cheers junior!! My mates a mobile Mechanic, can stamp my book and everything and has said £250 all in!! But upto now the lady that own her before has had everything done at VW!!

Just useful with a spanner, hammer or grinder lol :mrgreen:

I love knowing how stuff works so happy to pull bits apart and put back together with the correct research anything is possible.
AAGTI
Getting There!

Post by AAGTI »

9N3 Turbo wrote:
AAGTI wrote:

Just useful with a spanner, hammer or grinder lol :mrgreen:

I love knowing how stuff works so happy to pull bits apart and put back together with the correct research anything is possible.
Fair one mate!! I like to have a go to a point?! Like you say research is key. Some things i defo' stand back on and let the prof's crack on!!
AAGTI
Getting There!

Post by AAGTI »

Right, last point on this!! Promise!!

Obviously want to get Water Pump done at the same time as this!!

VW fit a plastic impellar and so do Awesome GTI. Saying that the Metal ones leaking on the bearings?

My water pump failed on my MK4 Golf 1.8T and ended up fitting a metal aftermarket one with no issues!!

Anyone running the metal type or are the plastic ones alot better now?

Ta Andy.