Some nice components for 100 - 150 quid

Discuss In Car Entertainment
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Some nice components for 100 - 150 quid

Post by david burton »

Hello,

I'm looking to get some nice componenets for about 100 - 150 quid. I saw another thread about components but I don't have 400 euros to spend!

I previously had some nice Alpine 176A's in the car, which I found online for 100 quid posted. These were nice, but I drove them from the headunit and wonder if I should have amped them.

Anyhow, I've been looking second-hand and brand new, and it seems like there's too much choice (and other forums are swamping the advice).

Can anyone recommend me a component set up? I have a 12 inch RF sub in the boot, and it's too deep bass on it's own - so I need plenty of mid range punch to balance out the sound. I have a spare Pioneer amp at home so I can use this.

Alpine 176A's (again), Infinity kappa 6.5's, more Rockfords, what should I choose (and any special offers out there)?

Cheers
tim
Getting There!

Post by tim »

I'd prob say to try the ones you've got amped up first.

I dont know what the power handling your type As is, but ive been trying to get an amp for my kenwood components and its hard to find one that wouldnt blow them! (60Wrms)

what about the type R alpines i;ve heard they r good and are in your price range, also 200 or 220Wmax i think.

Also have a look on ebay if you wana take a chance, theres always decent JL and Phase components
tornado_ally
Silver Member

Post by tornado_ally »

an amp that wouldnt blow them?? Just math up the rms power to not much over the rating of the speakers. Thats what I did. I will be adding another set of 165K2Ps (claimed 100watts rms) to the rear doors which will be running off a 2ch Audiobahn amp which runs at 200rms each. No probs so far.
david burton

Post by david burton »

My headunit kicks out 60w x 4 (not sure if this is RMS, or even 2 or 4 ohm) It's an alpine 9807rb.

and i have a spare amp that kicks out 2 x 65W at 4 ohm. SO this will be ok for now....

think i might look second hand... seen some infinity perfect 6.1's..... shweet
jon_poloV
Sponsor

ice

Post by jon_poloV »

david burton wrote:My headunit kicks out 60w x 4 (not sure if this is RMS, or even 2 or 4 ohm)
wouldnt be rms at that value that would be max from your headunit!
jon
tim
Getting There!

Post by tim »

an amp that wouldnt blow them??
Yeh, all im sayin is dat the rms of mine is f**k all and mpst amps that ive seen r too powerful, u dumbass
david burton

Post by david burton »

I don't get it - a powerful amp will only blow em if you whack the volume right up. a too weak amp is more damaging to speakers than too powerful...

am i missing something? surely there must be amps out there that are fine....
tim
Getting There!

Post by tim »

yeh, ur right on both counts, if an amp isnt powerful enough and u crank up the volume the speakers will disort......which causes premature aging of speakers.

And, as i like to turn up the volume lots an amp that is 2 powerful will pop my speakers :) so its prob best to match (more or less) rms.

:oops: ANYWAY, sorry mate i managed to change ur topic into some crap about amps blowing speakers... so good luck finding a decent set of comps :)
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

get Crystals if you can strech to £190!
Robo-Toda
New

Post by Robo-Toda »

Focal access range are really good for that sort of money,and are available from Halfords too.