When to change gears on polo?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
karchun
New

Post by karchun »

I've got a 1.2 petrol Moda and wondering what rpm is the best to change for mini drag races down a straight and what is the fuel effecient method of changing - I tend to change gears at 2000 - 2500 rpm and when i want a bit of speed - near 3k rpm everytime...I know my car is a little one as its only 60 bhp but still, i'm curious! (I just don't want to be tricked into thinking my car can get up to 6000rpm without the engine blowing up :lol:
Deako
Bronze Member

Re: When to change gears on polo?

Post by Deako »

Is this a serious post? Is this your first car? :shock:

The rev limit is there for a reason. :wink:

As long as the car is warmed up properly, there is no reason why you cannot rev the engine to 6000rpm. 8)
BIG RHYS
Gold Member

Post by BIG RHYS »

Love this ...

Rev the nutts off it !! (once its warm tho like deako said :P )
Dom.
Bronze Member

Post by Dom. »

Wut yu wana do wen yhoo iz drag racen Corsass nd sik Saxos down da str8z iz chainge geer at 6fousund revvs pur minet.
Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

OMG!! gearchange at 3k rpm in a drag race!!!! :shock:

Your car would only be making half of it's 60bhp at that rpm.

The specification for your car is .......

60ps at 5200rpm, so you should be taking it to at least 5200rpm to get the best acceleration.

The car also makes 80lbft at 3000rpm, so you don't want to be dropping below this on gearchanges.

Remember folks, everyone has to start somewhere. 8)
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Your car isn't going to let you blow its engine up unless you do something daft like change from fifth to first at 70mph. Despite being a collection of wires, plastic and metal, it's got a surprising knack for self preservation. Try it at 6000rpm and you'll realise that, although thats when the engine is at peak power, it's incredibly unpleasant in a 1.2. Lots of noise and very little go. Genuinely not worth the hassle unless you have some power behind the wall of noise.

You can't do fuel efficiency and racing at the same time obviously. If you want to save petrol, it's about more than changing gear. Clearly gears are a big part of efficiency, so shift below 2000rpm and keep it in the highest gear possible for the road. Be smooth on the controls, read the road ahead and anticipate the actions of others so you already have your foot off the power before the dithering bloke in the next lane over cuts you up. Don't use the accelerator and brakes alternately on hills - it's annoying to be behind and your engine barely uses any fuel going down an incline with your feet off the pedals.

This is all incredibly boring and time consuming though. You'll be late for everything because you can't drive quickly and save fuel. If you can't be bothered to get up early to achieve this, use the bus instead and save the car for these weekend 'races.'
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by red6n2 »

You wanna rev till just before the limiter kicks in... Else it will cut its self out... Go ape s**t on it !.
VWSPENCE
New

Post by VWSPENCE »

My Advice dont race.

:)
karchun
New

Post by karchun »

well currently my car model is between the polo S model and Match - and oops - lol i change at around 3k rpm max because the engine sound gets deafening after a while :oops:
And could some1 clarify the lbs/ft torque because it says 80 /3k Rpm as some1 has said but 5200rpm for 60 bhp?
And yes my very first car i'm only 18 :roll:
KieranLeighton
Bronze Member

Post by KieranLeighton »

If your "racing" I tend to change at about 5-6k, it's there for a reason and I like being load. But to be kind to the wallet about 2k.

Just do what you think is best.
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Don't see the point of this thread!