Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. 390 BHP Build

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Re: Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. Update Pg21 256mm rears Forged B

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

So I did have some IE 19mm rods to fit to my block but decide to sell them as I had found a block with uprated rods(20mm) and pistons.

The guy told me it worked perfectly fine and only completed around 9000 miles in his car but thought I would check it over for peace of mind.

Dropped the block off to JP @ JNL Racing and had this reply :angry:

#1 sputter bearing about to fail. Other cap bearings showing heavy wear and scoring on the bore from dirt.

Fortunately it appears the crank has not been scored. Oil pump has been stripped and inspected and cleaned out of the sludge but it's fu@ked.

Mains bearings will need inspecting so mains bolts will need replacing as they are stretch. Rods were installed back to front as locking tags were facing back of block instead of the front. This most likely being the cause of the premature bearing wear.

Will do complete inspection later in the weak to confirm all required parts. images below.

Now after a re-hone, repaint new bearings etc it's ready to go and yes i did re-contact the guy i got it from and got some money back :rolleyes:

Next up i will fit my INA baffled sump but need to get the oil line made up then I'm ready to fit the head to it. :wub:

chris meardon
Silver Member

Re: Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. Pg21 256mm rears & forged block

Post by chris meardon »

OUCH!

Thats the risk when buying internals second hand I suppose. Glad you've got it all sorted though.

Whats your end goal for this engine wise?

Interior is amazing by the way, best i've ever seen in a polo by far.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

chris meardon wrote:OUCH!

Thats the risk when buying internals second hand I suppose. Glad you've got it all sorted though.

Whats your end goal for this engine wise?

Interior is amazing by the way, best i've ever seen in a polo by far.
Tell me about it. But to be honest what i have paid and what the block is worth i am still massively up so cant complain :mrgreen:

As for end goal i have no idea but though i may as well put rods and pistons in case i ever want to go big turbo. Saves having to take it all apart again.

Thanks for the comments on the interior. Love looking at it every day 8)
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

Yeah I agree with that. One less thing on your list for when the bug turbo takes your fancy. KO4 hybrid would be the way I'd go, any more and the lag would dull the experience. The point of having a small turbo car is the instant power when you put your foot down. If you want lag and then big power you buy a scooby or an evo.

What's your opinion on the 6 sipped swap now you've had it in for a few months? One of my friends is interested in it but I don't think its worth the cost unless it's part of a bigger plan. He wants it for mpg figures in 6th gear in the motorway, did you notice any improvement?
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

chris meardon wrote:Yeah I agree with that. One less thing on your list for when the bug turbo takes your fancy. KO4 hybrid would be the way I'd go, any more and the lag would dull the experience. The point of having a small turbo car is the instant power when you put your foot down. If you want lag and then big power you buy a scooby or an evo.

What's your opinion on the 6 sipped swap now you've had it in for a few months? One of my friends is interested in it but I don't think its worth the cost unless it's part of a bigger plan. He wants it for mpg figures in 6th gear in the motorway, did you notice any improvement?
At the mo i have the K03 hybrid (K04 in K03 housing) but i want the K03 hybrid + (K04 hybrid in K03 housing). + 300 Bhp and small turbo characteristics.

Had the 6 speed for over a year now and basically it's the same as the 5 speed but spread over 6 gears so quicker in gear acceleration.
If i had gone for the diesel version then it would give better MPG as when in 6th @ 4000 RPM your hitting 125MPH.

As i done it myself it was only the cost of the box so in my eyes very inexpensive.

Wouldn't have my GTI any other way now. Love having 6 gears :mrgreen:
lukey GTI
Silver Member

Post by lukey GTI »

9N3 Turbo wrote:
chris meardon wrote:Yeah I agree with that. One less thing on your list for when the bug turbo takes your fancy. KO4 hybrid would be the way I'd go, any more and the lag would dull the experience. The point of having a small turbo car is the instant power when you put your foot down. If you want lag and then big power you buy a scooby or an evo.

At the mo i have the K03 hybrid (K04 in K03 housing) but i want the K03 hybrid + (K04 hybrid in K03 housing). + 300 Bhp and small turbo characteristics.

Had the 6 speed for over a year now and basically it's the same as the 5 speed but spread over 6 gears so quicker in gear acceleration.
If i had gone for the diesel version then it would give better MPG as when in 6th @ 4000 RPM your hitting 125MPH.

As i done it myself it was only the cost of the box so in my eyes very inexpensive.

Wouldn't have my GTI any other way now. Love having 6 gears :mrgreen:
what car has the gear box come out of ? and where did you get the hybrid turbo ... this is one of best cars on here in my eyes
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

Gear box came out of an Mk5 golf 2.0 FSI non turbo.

Turbo was done at CR Turbos

Thanks mate appreciate the comments.

In two minds if to sell it at the mo as saving for a house.

Just not sure where to price it :?:
lukey GTI
Silver Member

Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. Pg21 256mm rears & forged block

Post by lukey GTI »

Well if your stripping back to standard let me know . It would be a shame to sell it tho mate . Im thinking about doing the turbo upgrade like you. Not sure yet tho
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

lukey GTI wrote:Well if your stripping back to standard let me know . It would be a shame to sell it tho mate . Im thinking about doing the turbo upgrade like you. Not sure yet tho
Wouldn't be putting back to std. Would sell as is if I did.

In my eyes hybrid is just whats needed. To make this car perfect. Not sure what to do at the mo. sell all the bits I have or fit them. Going to have a little think.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

This weekend saw the start of my hybrid conversion as well as tidying up certain other things.

I had been waiting to move to my new garage which was completed last week Tuesday.

On Saturday evening the worked started and by 16:30 Sunday afternoon i had gone from 226 BHP (according to AMD rollers when i had it mapped) to 0 BHP :shock:

Some pics below

How it started

How it was left after a couple hours work on Saturday

Then the real work began Sunday after watching F1 :mrgreen:

How it is now

Wanted to separate the head from the block but realised I didn't have the correct tool :evil: . On to eBay and now waiting for it in the post.

Next up give the engine bay a clean and commence with the conversion but wont be able to get in the garage for two weeks as i can only do weekends due to work commitments and being busy this coming weekend.

More update to follow.
lukey GTI
Silver Member

Re: Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. Pg22 Hybrid Conversion begins

Post by lukey GTI »

hope it all goes well . What parts do you need to do the turbo conversion?
scotty733
Getting There!

Post by scotty733 »

Love this car & thread!

Can i ask what silicone hose you used for the cone in the box? The widths of either end?
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

lukey GTI wrote:hope it all goes well . What parts do you need to do the turbo conversion?
I have all the bits just need a couple of gaskets and have the injectors serviced to be on the safe side. :mrgreen:

I also have to get the money together for remap. My main issue is time. But I'm in no rush.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

scotty733 wrote:Love this car & thread!

Can i ask what silicone hose you used for the cone in the box? The widths of either end?
2.5" - 3.5" 90 degree. Can buy mine if red is any good to you.? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments :wink:
scotty733
Getting There!

Post by scotty733 »

It would come into good use, how much would you want delivered to N.ireland mate?