6n2 Overheating issue (please help, lots of details inside)

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Kieranyeh
New

Post by Kieranyeh »

having a bit of an issue atm, earlier on last week I drained my battery by accident and i had to jump start it, after a few failed attempts at trying to use the leads we read into how to do it and got it done the right way. All was well, car started up and i left it running for a little while to charge.
Ever since this point (coincidence or not) It has been overheating after every 5 mins or so.

One thing i thought may have been the issue was the reg plate suffocating the radiator from cool air, but i never once had an issue with this the 3-4 months before now..

next i thought it may be the sensor in the radiator that tells the fan to turn on, which would need to be on due to lack of air cooling from front, so i let it overheat to around 105 degrees before looking under the bonnet to notice the fan not on.. So i bridged the connection on the sensor and it turned on thus not a fan issue

So i decided to change the sensor that tells the fan to turn on.. nothing, same as before not a fan sensor issue

When it overheats i can turn the fans on in the car removing the hot air from the engine into the car, this cools it down instantly. This would mean that its not a water pump issue because the water is flowing around the heater matrix quickly and efficiently.

What on earth is it?!?!?! Im stumped.. maybe the ECU cant remember when to tell the fan to come on? or something similar?
Lupopolo
New

Re: 6n2 Overheating issue (please help, lots of details insi

Post by Lupopolo »

Are you getting flow through the radiator? Could be something as simple as a air lock or a faulty thermostat!!!
Kieranyeh
New

Post by Kieranyeh »

Thats what it was! all sorted. Such a silly little thing.. done and dusted
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by red6n2 »

Dude im having this problem now!!!

What was it faulty thermostat ?.

Did it make your coolant tank p*** out coolant from the overflow ?.
red6n2

Post by red6n2 »

Would love for this guy to update with how he resolved it :-(
Kieranyeh
New

Post by Kieranyeh »

All sorted, The thermostat housing snapped a bit inside making the thermostat stop working, fixed it.. silly little plastic issue, all is well now!
red6n2

Post by red6n2 »

My garage Can't do it till tomorrow so I'm gonna do it myself now, just tryna work out if the bolts are 10mil as I'm gonna have to buy the socket !.
red6n2

Post by red6n2 »

Done it myself in the end bit of ball ache but if anyone gets this issue pm
Me and il assist as much as I can.

Also you will need to replace the whole thermostat housing, £92 + VAT from VW or £35 all in from GSF the housing includes all sensors and a new engine temp sensor,
Kieranyeh
New

Post by Kieranyeh »

red6n2 wrote:Done it myself in the end bit of ball ache but if anyone gets this issue pm
Me and il assist as much as I can.

Also you will need to replace the whole thermostat housing, £92 + VAT from VW or £35 all in from GSF the housing includes all sensors and a new engine temp sensor,
I just replaced the thermostat itself, as my inner housing was fine, It was the outer housing on the bit where the actual thermostat plugs in that i needed to replace, I did it for cheao as i went to the scrappy and picked up a thermostat there, There was a chance it wasnt going to work but so long as it wasnt visually broken I thought best to give it a go, all sorted!