Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
kawabanga
Getting There!

Re: Using Oil!

Post by kawabanga »

skipster wrote:Just checked my oil level again (another top up required). 0.6/litre approx top up in 600 miles. So on that clearly 1/litre per 1000 miles. Slightly above VW tolerance but new rings still only 2,600 miles in. Won't go back just yet.
I do not want to discourage you, but 2.600miles are enough for ring to fit...
The only solution is engine replacement and fingers crossed: from our survey, about 50% of GTI are faulty and about 50% of engines replaced re-presenting the same problem. Very few the cases that piston rings replacements solved the problem...

BTW, after that one forum's user has succeeded on having back his money spent for his GTI (after rings replacements that didn't work), now in Italy there is a group action coordinated by the same attorney: all GTI's users who engine or rings replacements was unsuccesful, are trying to have their money back...
Stugolf1
Getting There!

Post by Stugolf1 »

According to my dealer and VW customer service they aren't putting new engines in now, no repair available yet, so I'm rejecting my car
WatchcamGTI
Bronze Member

Post by WatchcamGTI »

Stugolf1 wrote:According to my dealer and VW customer service they aren't putting new engines in now, no repair available yet, so I'm rejecting my car

Does this mean new cars are still bad?
Mine is on order - just moved forward to end of june delivery.

I asked dealer to put in writing it had been resolved at the weekend and not heard back yet. Be interesting to find out what they say?
Stugolf1
Getting There!

Post by Stugolf1 »

According to VW mate.... no

But you might be lucky and if you have your car from new and can help the process by not running the car in as VW recommend
WatchcamGTI
Bronze Member

Post by WatchcamGTI »

Stugolf1 wrote:According to VW mate.... no

But you might be lucky and if you have your car from new and can help the process by not running the car in as VW recommend

I was less concerned as the new engine code was meant to come in May?, but i dont believe that if they are saying they still can't fix it in existing cars.
If the new engine code fixes it they would be able to replace knackered engines already out there with good new ones surely?
I agree it sounds like VW dont know what to do.

They will have to reply to me at some stage .... Will post here what they say.

Re the run in ... You are suggesting rag it out of the box?
Deako
Bronze Member

Post by Deako »

We should all get free upgrades to the Polo WRC 1.6 Turbo lumps for the hassle of being VWs testers.

Fingers crossed, mine has been ok. 1800 miles, and ive not needed to top the oil up once yet.
WatchcamGTI
Bronze Member

Post by WatchcamGTI »

Deako wrote:We should all get free upgrades to the Polo WRC 1.6 Turbo lumps for the hassle of being VWs testers.

Fingers crossed, mine has been ok. 1800 miles, and ive not needed to top the oil up once yet.

I will put forward the suggestion when VW come back to me! :)
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

kawabanga wrote:
skipster wrote:Just checked my oil level again (another top up required). 0.6/litre approx top up in 600 miles. So on that clearly 1/litre per 1000 miles. Slightly above VW tolerance but new rings still only 2,600 miles in. Won't go back just yet.
I do not want to discourage you, but 2.600miles are enough for ring to fit...
The only solution is engine replacement and fingers crossed: from our survey, about 50% of GTI are faulty and about 50% of engines replaced re-presenting the same problem. Very few the cases that piston rings replacements solved the problem...

BTW, after that one forum's user has succeeded on having back his money spent for his GTI (after rings replacements that didn't work), now in Italy there is a group action coordinated by the same attorney: all GTI's users who engine or rings replacements was unsuccesful, are trying to have their money back...
Mine does already have replacement rings (have done 2,600 miles since they have been replaced). Whole car has just under 6,000. Oil consumption has improved for sure since the rings were replaced but it is still too heavy for my liking. VW told me that the running in period effectively restarts at zero once the rings are replaced (which yes, I can see their point). But I can't see the consumption reducing by much any time soon.

I still get the sooty deposits over the rear hatch and bit of oil smoke occasionally when pulling away.
Stugolf1
Getting There!

Post by Stugolf1 »

Well the Brand Manager at my dealership is looking into why VW aren't doing any repairs or replacements on the car now

Plus I've emailed Germany for their help

At my wits end, if I want to reject the car I could loose £6,000 in less than a year becuase I put my own deposit on the car

I would suggest avoiding this engine in all models completely
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

skipster wrote: Mine does already have replacement rings (have done 2,600 miles since they have been replaced). Whole car has just under 6,000. Oil consumption has improved for sure since the rings were replaced but it is still too heavy for my liking. VW told me that the running in period effectively restarts at zero once the rings are replaced (which yes, I can see their point). But I can't see the consumption reducing by much any time soon.

I still get the sooty deposits over the rear hatch and bit of oil smoke occasionally when pulling away.

Yes Skipster, that's what I mean, the oil consumption is still high also after rings replacements and from my point of view will not improve anymore: break in period for rings is already ended after 2.600 miles...

Shame on VW :cry:
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

Stugolf1 wrote:At my wits end, if I want to reject the car I could loose £6,000 in less than a year becuase I put my own deposit on the car
Presumably you would lose £6k in depriciation anyway if you sold after 1 year? It's not a direct consequence of it burning oil that you would lose £6k is it? Therefore VW shouldn't really foot the depriciation bill.
Stugolf1
Getting There!

Post by Stugolf1 »

George H wrote:
Stugolf1 wrote:At my wits end, if I want to reject the car I could loose £6,000 in less than a year becuase I put my own deposit on the car
Presumably you would lose £6k in depriciation anyway if you sold after 1 year? It's not a direct consequence of it burning oil that you would lose £6k is it? Therefore VW shouldn't really foot the depriciation bill.
I asked them to give me a working car, they apologised and couldn't, why should I keep a car that can't be repaired? And pay for the privilege each month

6K on the Polo is 12 months is far more than average too, the cars are known for the faults thus dropping like a stone in value
SamF15
New

Post by SamF15 »

I had a new engine put in and I drove from the dealership after having if fitted to the closest link road and smashed the s**t out of it and have done as much as I've ever wanted and taken no pre cautions, result? An engine that has normal oil consumption :)
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

Look at this link, seems to be very interesting, especially for you in the UK...!

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=351938

George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

Stugolf1 wrote:
George H wrote:
I asked them to give me a working car, they apologised and couldn't, why should I keep a car that can't be repaired? And pay for the privilege each month

6K on the Polo is 12 months is far more than average too, the cars are known for the faults thus dropping like a stone in value
Yes but they haven't actually cost you £6k because of the oil issue. It would have depriciated at least £4k without it. If you haven't actually had the car and it has only been sat in a dealer awaiting being fixed for a year, then yes I'd agree you should get 100% of your money back. If you have used it inbetween trips to the dealer, then you should pay the depriciation for the amount you've used it.