Pulled By An Off Duty Cop

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

Gents,

Thought id go and get some munch on my lunch break at work today, went to an area by me that was
recommended by a friend as being pretty good.
Heading down there im behind two cars driving 20 on an arrow straight 2 mile long road..

I was like wtf is going on?!? dropped a couple and past them at a reasonable speed (50)

Went into a shop and got some grub to find some douche calling me from inside his car saying is that your car?
i just carried on...

anyway he went on about how its a 30 and i could get 6-9 points for overtaking there

he said ive got your reg if i catch you again

Does that mean hes gonna report me or what?

ive heard some people say they pass by my house and have a chat, some say that was just a warning and
others even a ticket?!?

what could/will happen do you reckon?

he was off duty and in his own personal car so no recording equipment or proof as to me doing it....
rover220
Gold Member

Re: Pulled By An Off Duty Cop

Post by rover220 »

He can't do s**t. Panic not.
jakovdub
Silver Member

Post by jakovdub »

if he was gunna do you he would of gave you a ticket there and then pal, he is off duty for a start, but i wouldn't worry about it

sounds like you over took safely anyway :)
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Naff all he can do. But let it be a lesson learned, don't drive like a bellend :lol:
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by red6n2 »

He can't do f all, even a normal police car on duty with no speed equipment and with just one copper in it wouldn't stand up in court as its your word against theirs, there needs to be proof or at least 2 coppers in the car.
Mk4_Scotland
Bronze Member

Post by Mk4_Scotland »

red6n2 wrote:He can't do f all, even a normal police car on duty with no speed equipment and with just one copper in it wouldn't stand up in court as its your word against theirs, there needs to be proof or at least 2 coppers in the car.
Not strictly true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

Thanks for the info guys, was abit worried at first haha, time to slow down and
stay behind the chuggers for a while :D

Then again, an Apr remap is on the horizon 8)
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

You can get a section 59 off an off duty policeman (I know this from experience!). I drove past someone doing about 50-60 down a 40mph bit of road that the off duty policeman was jogging down at the time. The next morning he knocked on my door and handed me a section 59 for driving too fast for the conditions or something like that. Which was b*******s as it was sunny at the time, and down a long straight road with good visibility.

I tried arguing but it got me nowhere, in the end I just had to take it and make sure I don't get another in 2 years :roll:
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

George H wrote:You can get a section 59 off an off duty policeman (I know this from experience!). I drove past someone doing about 50-60 down a 40mph bit of road that the off duty policeman was jogging down at the time. The next morning he knocked on my door and handed me a section 59 for driving too fast for the conditions or something like that. Which was ********* as it was sunny at the time, and down a long straight road with good visibility.

I tried arguing but it got me nowhere, in the end I just had to take it and make sure I don't get another in 2 years :roll:
So i could get a knock on the door? the off duty cop spoke to me there and then though so i think it might be
different (im hoping)

what do you think?
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

Joe9n3 wrote:
So i could get a knock on the door? the off duty cop spoke to me there and then though so i think it might be
different (im hoping)

what do you think?
You could get a knock on the door, but if he spoke to you then I doubt you will.
WatchcamGTI
Bronze Member

Post by WatchcamGTI »

You won't hear any more.
Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

Surely there still has to be proof to issue a section 59 notice on someone......otherwise any p1ssed off officer could just issue them willy nilly to anyone for anything......even if they had done nothing!

How could a jogging off duty PC issue anything to someone at their house when they aren't even in the car! and who's to say you were the driver!

I know it happens, but it just makes me want to go on a rant!!!! :x
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Hurdy wrote:Surely there still has to be proof to issue a section 59 notice on someone......otherwise any p1ssed off officer could just issue them willy nilly to anyone for anything......even if they had done nothing!

How could a jogging off duty PC issue anything to someone at their house when they aren't even in the car! and who's to say you were the driver!

Nope, no evidence needed unfortunately. The 'constable in uniform' needs only to have reasonable grounds that the vehicle is being used in a manner which causes 'alarm, distress or annoyance.' It's incredibly convenient as it means that police can scare the hell out of people for perceived reckless driving whilst not actually convicting them with a court, which requires real evidence. Completely contradicts the whole 'innocent till proven guilty' bit of Article 6 of the European Convention of Human Rights though...

I would have thought that, since this guy has had his moan out of the car window, he'll leave it be mate. Wouldn't worry anyway.

It's here if anyone wants to read it in full: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/200 ... r-vehicles
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

blazeguarder wrote: The 'constable in uniform'
he wasnt in uniform or anything, personal car, personal clothes and off duty
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

Hurdy wrote:Surely there still has to be proof to issue a section 59 notice on someone......otherwise any p1ssed off officer could just issue them willy nilly to anyone for anything......even if they had done nothing!

I tried fighting it, got me nowhere. I thought it was utter crap, it was his word against mine, and he gets to issue a ticket against me because of that. Anything else and you need evidence. I'm just worried now that I'm going to get another one for something minimal and end up having my car confiscated :x