help im a newbie

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
foxbees
New

help im a newbie

Post by foxbees »

hi all i need some help i have just bought a vw polo mk4 1.6 1996 model and under the bonnet there is a loose strap on the passenger side going from the bonnet to the wing please can some 1 tell me what this is :D :D

ALSO THE FAN ISENT WORKING WHAT COULD THIS BE ? :(

THE CAR HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 4 MONTHS AND WHEN I STARTED IT THERE WAS WHITE SMOKE COMING OUT THE EXQUAST :cry:
I THOUGHT THE WORSED THE HEAD GASKET SO I CHECKED THE OIL CAP AND THERE WAS WHITE GUNK BUT NOW THAT HAS GONE BACK TO JUST OIL NO MORE WHITE GUNK WHAT COULD THIS BE

AND THE PASSENGER WINDOW DOESENT OPEN BUT CAN HEAR MECHNISM GOING UP AND DOWN ANY IDEAS WHAT THIS IS

THANKYOU ALL :D
foxbees
New

Re: help im a newbie

Post by foxbees »

:D :D i have found out what the strap is its a earth strap replaced £5.00 from vw dealer
also fixed fan it was the fan switch easy to replace
just have to fix the window know will have a look tomorrow :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
foxbees
New

Re: help im a newbie found pick axe handle in door ?

Post by foxbees »

i had a look at the window today i carefully took the door panel off to reveil a sawn down pick axe handle propping up the window lol :D

the moter works but god knows what has gone on in here there are bits of white plastic every were laying in the door

anybody got any good idies what i should do now i think i might take it to a garage to get fixed
benmkiv
Platinum Member

help im a newbie

Post by benmkiv »

White plastic will e the clips that hold the glass to the bit that goes up and down ;)
foxbees
New

Post by foxbees »

:D hi i have fixed the head gasket problem i used steel seal just pour it in to the radiator turn heating on full power at start engine and let it idil for 1 hour and it does the rest realy good product was £30.00 well spent highly recommed this :D
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I wouldntve said you had a head gasket problem at all to be fair

The white gunk happens when the cars sit for a while as its emulsified oil due to condensation

It can also build up if the car is only used for short frequent runs

Normally clears by itself if taken for a good motorway run etc.

The window youll need one of these kits http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40 Be sure to choose one appropriate for the side damaged, and 3dr or 5dr depending on what you have.
foxbees
New

Post by foxbees »

thankyou alex :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D