Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
trigg123
Getting There!

Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by trigg123 »

hi
just an obsrvation and update on our gti

we took delivery of a '13 spec gti last oct with the dreaded cave engine...... the car was delivered to us from ipswitch down to us in west cornwall. a trip of aroung 400 odd miles. i checked the oil next day and all was spot on,just where it should be. have driven it locally the untill this weekend it has used some oil most weeks but only well within the books tolerance. last weekend we drove to bournemouth for the weekend and checked the oil again and not a drop used......what im saying is after to good long trips it didnt use a drop but out normal local driving it does. strange for sure
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

trigg123 wrote:hi
just an obsrvation and update on our gti

we took delivery of a '13 spec gti last oct with the dreaded cave engine...... the car was delivered to us from ipswitch down to us in west cornwall. a trip of aroung 400 odd miles. i checked the oil next day and all was spot on,just where it should be. have driven it locally the untill this weekend it has used some oil most weeks but only well within the books tolerance. last weekend we drove to bournemouth for the weekend and checked the oil again and not a drop used......what im saying is after to good long trips it didnt use a drop but out normal local driving it does. strange for sure
A bit surprised yours has a CAVE spec engine for MY2013, as of May 2012 they have been fitting CTHE spec engines. For sure though the later CAVE engines are much improved with respect to oil consumption compared to the early versions.
trigg123
Getting There!

Post by trigg123 »

yea
tbh was gutted it came ith that engine,but it had to be ordered early may for our delivery date also i believe there is a factory shut down for all or most of august so i guess if it was ordered then they are gonna get rid of as many cave engines as they can ! but very pleased with the rest of the package
Piers0930
Bronze Member

Post by Piers0930 »

Yeah new engines need to carbon up, didn't you get 1liter top up with your new car?
trigg123
Getting There!

Post by trigg123 »

No mate
, nothing came with the car, tight gets
Piers0930
Bronze Member

Post by Piers0930 »

trigg123 wrote:No mate
, nothing came with the car, tight gets
Gits* agh unlucky!
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Just checked mine after 600 miles on the new engine and all looks good. Level is on max still. With old engine it would have been at the bottom of the dipstick by now.
stuart.cameron
Bronze Member

Post by stuart.cameron »

New engine is getting dropped into the car today...
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

It's getting a new engine
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Haven't been on here for over a year and I can't believe you guys are still having this problem also can't believe this is still an issue more than two years after the problems first started and I started this post!

I really feel for you guys. Don't want to sound smug but getting shot of mine was the best thing I did and have a fabulous Golf GTI Edition 35 which has had no problems. 8)
JCT 1991
Bronze Member

Post by JCT 1991 »

Just booked in for Thursday next week to get the breather mod on ! What would be the next step after this if the consumption doesn't drop ?
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

New engine... :|

BTW, if you have time take a look to what this crazy German guy is telling me HERE, from his point of view VW is on the right side with TSI-180 and when our warranty will be expired we will have to pay to fix (which fix so far?) a huge engine project bug...! :cry:
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

Look at this action coming from Australia: or a definitive solution will be found or 33.000$ refund are asked...!!! :wink:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... post915877
bennyboy
Bronze Member
Drives: old 6r GTI , now 6c GTI

Post by bennyboy »

:shock: had to lol, as i just followed the link in prev post, only to see the moderator using a pic of my car as his avatar (gavs) :shock:
foggy69
Getting There!

Post by foggy69 »

It has now been confirmed by VW that my car is using too much oil after a 600 mile oil consumption test.
It had the updated piston rings, oil breather pipe and software update so I am now waiting to hear from them about where we go from here :(