6n2 Grey first car/ attempted build thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
paulsands1234
New

6n2 Grey first car/ attempted build thread

Post by paulsands1234 »

Right so I've been on the forum for a while now, asked the odd question here or there all for my girlfriend's polo that we've been doing small modifications to. However now the fun really starts, spent what felt like years trawling the internet for this car but as of this morning it's finally mine :) ! Went to Birmingham to check it out and everything looked okay so bought it there and then and got my dad to drive it home because i haven't passed my test yet -_-

Anyways i'm going to attempt to keep up a build thread on here as the members seem to be the most helpful, probably won't see any major mods to the car with insurance and all being so dammn expensive, but hopefully can get it looking a lot better than it does now. Think the majority will agree with me that the red angel eyes don't exactly look to great on the car so any suggestions as to replacements would be greatly appreciated also suggestions as to what look to go for with the rest of the car would be great. So yeah this is the currently un-named polo but i'll let the pictures do the talking.....

Probably end up going down the route of adding gti parts for now, but quite fancy getting a decent audio set up in there too, let me know what you guys think and what changes to make! last thing, the red seats look to be original, didn't know they ever did these? Feel free to shed some light if you know ! Cheers ! :)
Piers0930
Bronze Member

Re: 6n2 Grey first car/ attempted build thread

Post by Piers0930 »

Welcome to the UK Polo world!
Nice first car (:
Not so sure on the colour scheme with the lights.. I would upgraded to GTI headlights/FK's clear- but its your car do what you want, its a personal choice.

Also if your thinking about getting an GTI and its your first, car i totally know how you feel like when you first start driving ect, but honeslty save your money and get an GTI in a couple of years, after a few NCB.

I am doing a conversion soon, from a 1.0 to a 1.6 should be very different to drive.

I brought an GTI cat c for £600 damaged, and used all the bits of it. (:

yeah they did do nice seats (:

Peece
paulsands1234
New

Post by paulsands1234 »

Cheers mate, headlights are the priority atm as the left one is a bit temperamental, probably just a bulb gone but a good enough excuse to get rid of them!

not sure what to replace them with yet but i do like the 'angel eye' look of the fk's ,

And yeah i doubt i'll do anything too major with it being such a small engined car but looking to keep it for the duration of my uni course and see where i'll go from there!

I remember checking out your build thread a while back when i was looking at blue 6n2's, looks propa sweet especially the climatronic conversion, was it difficult to swap? people like you dont help me save my money after seeing your car just make me want to add things to mine! :)
Piers0930
Bronze Member

Post by Piers0930 »

paulsands1234 wrote:Cheers mate, headlights are the priority atm as the left one is a bit temperamental, probably just a bulb gone but a good enough excuse to get rid of them!

not sure what to replace them with yet but i do like the 'angel eye' look of the fk's ,

And yeah i doubt i'll do anything too major with it being such a small engined car but looking to keep it for the duration of my uni course and see where i'll go from there!

I remember checking out your build thread a while back when i was looking at blue 6n2's, looks propa sweet especially the climatronic conversion, was it difficult to swap? people like you dont help me save my money after seeing your car just make me want to add things to mine! :)
Fair enough, W
Yeah there okay personally i would steer towards GTI ones, but its what ever you can afford, Yeah i know its crazy!
Ah thanks bud, kinda forgot to keep on track with progress so there was a big difference. No the climatronic was a bit tricky dash out, and different heater matrix.

Totally worth the stress!

So nice to just set it around to 22 and the cap isn't to hot. Love it.

My next thing is to buff my headlights, they have been done before but there not all quite there.

Whats yours 1.0?

Audio - Focal's mate
paulsands1234
New

Post by paulsands1234 »

Yep just a 1.0 coz of insurance )))):

aha dont think i'm quite at the level yet to be pulling the dash out, bearing in mind i've only had it a day! might hang around the forums and ebay try and get some gti headlights though, how much do they usually go for? (:

Audio wise focals do seem the way to go, but for now focusing on getting a new headunit, which is a nightmare with sooooo many to choose from, weirdly... the one ive been looking at is very similar to yours (the alpine one with small colour screen) , just a newer model i guess, what was yours like? if its decent might get one and save myself a fair few quid.

I'm subscribed to your build so no doubt i can see how your improves especially if your putting a gti engine in!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

If you dont declare the engine swap, under new MOT regulations, they could fail it as they check things like this now.

Plus, your insurance is void too!

Just something to bear in mind...

Also, those seats came standard on the Match models - i had them in mine. There were red, blue and green versions.
Piers0930
Bronze Member

Post by Piers0930 »

thinking about selling mine mate, i changed mine to a Kenwood, it won 2012 best hu, yeah i know insurance is crazy and a con!! how much is yours?
paulsands1234
New

Post by paulsands1234 »

Yeah looked at the kenwood you have/had too but i quite liked the lcd on the alpine hu's. Only insured as a learner so its not too bad, hopefully i'll get insured as 2nd or 3rd driver when i pass to will keep the costs somewhat manageable!

And i thought the match models were only 1.4? does that mean the seats have been changed coz shes only a wee 1.0 (:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Match models were 1.0 also. I had one as my first car :)
paulsands1234
New

Post by paulsands1234 »

Ahhhh okay (: just bought a lock repair kit, so hopefully thats not too difficult to do, stop me climbing through the passenger side to unlock!
FranMcHugh91
New

Post by FranMcHugh91 »

i love this colour
paulsands1234
New

Post by paulsands1234 »

Only really minor changes today, not finished yet coz im going to iceland on monday! Got new headlights on the way but had to replace indicator bulb which as always more difficult than expected.

Then fitted new aero wipers..

And started to fit the gti door cards which look pretty good with the seats,
Old style

New style

Got the front ones to fit too which will be 'fun' because i need to cut holes for the window winders and sort something out for the space where the electric windows switches would go...

But all the same some nice small updates for now :) !
Behemia
New

Post by Behemia »

Love the colour and it seems to be in good nick which is always nice :)
So, good buy! minus the headlights which aren't to my taste, but to each their own.

For the front doorcards, just buy electric windows! :p
Easier said than done tbh.

Good luck and hoping to see some nice updates :)

Seb.
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Which aero blades are those? I unfortunately have valeo blades and the hook sits really high
paulsands1234
New

Re: Re: 6n2 Grey first car/ attempted build thread

Post by paulsands1234 »

Dalescottfk wrote:Which aero blades are those? I unfortunately have valeo blades and the hook sits really high
They were relatively cheap ones from eBay, I'll edit in the link in a few hours when I'm on my laptop :)

The Aero Wipers link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330744516892? ... 1497.l2649

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2