Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
dvd
New
Drives: Mk 8 POLO TSI

Hello to all and question about turbo please,

Post by dvd »

Hi,
my first post here. :)
I have been having a look around for a while and it seems to be the right place where I can ask a Polo related question.

I have a November 2011 Polo 1.2tsi model and about 4 months ago I was asked to take it in for a part (a shim I think) in the turbo wastegate to be changed/added.
This model is supposed to have 105bhp power.
My question is, would the engine still develop the same power after this part was added to the waste gate as part of a scheduled recall ?
The reason I ask is that recently I saw a new 90bhp version of the 1.2tsi engined advertised and I wonder if the added part to my car has restricted my engine' performance to that level.
To be honest I can not say that I have noticed any reduction in my engine's performance, but then again I do not think that a 15bhp (105 to 90) drop would be too noticeable.
Thanks . :)
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: Hello to all and question about turbo please,

Post by vc-10 »

The 90PS version of the 1.2 TSI has been offered for a while on the continent. I've not seen them advertised here but I've not been looking out for them either! The shim doesn't affect the power output. Both the 105 and 90PS engines have been offered at the same time. I think the 90PS engine has a 5-speed 'box too, rather than the 6-speed in the 105PS. My parents rented a 90PS TSI Polo last summer in Spain, great little car!

Edit: You talking about a 90PS version got me thinking, and I checked on VW's website, they don't offer the 90PS version in the UK. I'm guessing you're abroad?
daydotz
Silver Member

Hello to all and question about turbo please,

Post by daydotz »

The skoda fabia & Audi A1 are sold with a 86bhp version of the 1.2 tsi
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

Yup, as is the Golf, just never seen the lower output version in a RHD Polo!
Gewoonjan
New

Post by Gewoonjan »

The shim only restricts the boost output for the turbo in lower revs, around 1500rpm when the turbo becomes noticeable. It used to give you a 'hard' kick when it took off and now it doesn't anymore. Because the kick could damage the engine internals as the boost could peak to high.

We in the Netherlands have had a few complaints from people, but that was just whining if you ask me. It still has the same hp, but only in a more subtle way on bringing the power to you ;)
dvd
New
Drives: Mk 8 POLO TSI

Post by dvd »

Hi, thanks for your replies.
I am in Malta and as far as I know, my car was built in South Africa. It is a year and a half old now and have no issues with it.
It shares the garage with my other 19year old Polo Fox Coupe which is still in daily use and going strong..... well at least as 45bhp would allow, but it is utterly reliable and will not get anyone into trouble :D
The latest VW Polo TSI can be had in the 90bhp version here.
Not sure if they still sell the 105bhp version any more here.
The latest 90bhpversion as sold in Malta is about 2500Euro cheaper than my 18 month old 105bhp version and comes with a few goodies like steering buttons and 16" alloys for free too.Those would have been nice to have.

I wonder if it is just a re-map of the engine that alters the power of the latest model or if substantial mechanical alterations in the engine are responsible for this?
Cheers. :D
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

Nothing significant I don't think. Just a remap, and a 5-speed gearbox.

Kind of jealous that we don't get the 90PS version, especially if they're shipping them down to South Africa anyway! I think New Zealand gets the 90PS version too.