Squeaky brakes and leaky washer jets - more problems?!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

Yet more annoying problems with my polo. The squeaky suspension on the left front has seemingly gone, however now both brakes squeak (actually the left one screeches loudly when I brake and turn right!) :? Also the back washer jet leaks down the window after I've used it, as does the front left jet occasionally.

Am I wrong to expect that a 2 year old VW should hold up better than this? Other issues to mention:

- Brake light stopped working (not the bulb)
- Wiper fuse blew in heavy snow causing me to nearly crash at about 45mph
- Power steering has gone on several occasions while parking
- Tyre pressure warning has gone off countless times causing me to panic on the motorway :roll:
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Re: Squeaky brakes and leaky washer jets - more problems?!

Post by hornmeister »

My GTI's done less than 300 miles and the breaks are a little squeaky just before stopping. Power stearing also a little squeaky at full lock and slow speed.

I'm getting it checked out next week so will let you know, but I'm putting it down to lack of mileage at the moment.
trigg123
Getting There!

Post by trigg123 »

sounds like the pads are shot....have a look/get them checked
robbieg
Getting There!

Post by robbieg »

My steering squeals aswell when held on full lock for a few seconds.
I notice it when my learners are doing turn in road.

Also my rear washer dribbles after using, but my OLD Ibiza (04) used to do the same too.
robbieg
Getting There!

Post by robbieg »

And since i put a new tyre on front right a few weeks ago, my tyre light keeps coming on at 65mph on Dual carriageway and motorways.
Wolfi
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI

Post by Wolfi »

Brake light is not working but not the bulb - is there a small warning light on the dash cos I think I might have had the same thing on my old 6R.... :?:
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

robbieg wrote:My steering squeals aswell when held on full lock for a few seconds.
I notice it when my learners are doing turn in road.

Also my rear washer dribbles after using, but my OLD Ibiza (04) used to do the same too.
It's not so much the steering because it's only when I brake. I don't mind the washer problem it's just annoying, especially in a newish car...
trigg123 wrote:sounds like the pads are shot....have a look/get them checked
I'll definitely get them checked if I keep having the problem. I'll have a proper look tomorrow.
hornmeister wrote:My GTI's done less than 300 miles and the breaks are a little squeaky just before stopping. Power stearing also a little squeaky at full lock and slow speed.

I'm getting it checked out next week so will let you know, but I'm putting it down to lack of mileage at the moment.
Hmm interesting to know, thanks.
Wolfi wrote:Brake light is not working but not the bulb - is there a small warning light on the dash cos I think I might have had the same thing on my old 6R.... :?:
I don't think I got a warning light actually (this was months ago, it's fixed now)
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

hornmeister wrote:My GTI's done less than 300 miles and the breaks are a little squeaky just before stopping. Power stearing also a little squeaky at full lock and slow speed.

Off to VW first thing in the morning as the bluetooth sound has never worked, so I'll update. I've just had the reminder call and "we need a debit card to cover the insurance on your courtesy car". Not enough notice to arrange alternative transport to get me to work now. It's only £12.50 but
I'm a little miffed this isn't free considering the car is only a month old. Added to the fact I felt they were tight in not filling the car up when I bought it. £19K and they are penny pinching, should have put that on their annoying customer survey.
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

hornmeister wrote:

Off to VW first thing in the morning as the bluetooth sound has never worked, so I'll update. I've just had the reminder call and "we need a debit card to cover the insurance on your courtesy car". Not enough notice to arrange alternative transport to get me to work now. It's only £12.50 but
I'm a little miffed this isn't free considering the car is only a month old. Added to the fact I felt they were tight in not filling the car up when I bought it. £19K and they are penny pinching, should have put that on their annoying customer survey.
I got a courtesy car free of charge and I'm 17 :o on a side not I've just been out for a drive and the brakes seem to be getting worse, I'll be keen to see what result you get from VW
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Match wrote: I got a courtesy car free of charge and I'm 17 :o on a side not I've just been out for a drive and the brakes seem to be getting worse, I'll be keen to see what result you get from VW
Aparently it's "to cover insurance".
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Re: the squeaky steering, I've had the Git checked over will pick it up tonight.

At low speeds, accelerating half to full lock the suspesion/stearing squeaks a little. According to my dealer & VW this is something to do with rubber bushes, they are aware of the phenomenon and is normal. Apologies I didn't get all the technical jargon. The main thing is I've reported it so if there is any issue down the line I should have comeback. I'd suggest anyone else do similar to cover themselves.

My bluetooth module has been replaced and I get a free car wash. Somewhat happier. :D
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

To be honest, the dribble on the rear washers is pretty normal for most cars. As the pump head is positioned some inches away from the jet, there will doubtlessly be an accumulation of water in the system that will dribble out. Not a lot VW can do about that.

With regards to the TPMS going off, have you checked the pressures lately or topped up the tyres and not reset the system by holding in the "SET" button mounted in the glovebox ?

Squeaky steering (or hissing at full lock) is quite normal and it's the pressure relief valve venting off excess hydraulic pressure in the rack. Again pretty much all cars with hydraulic power assistance have this feature, but it certainly shouldn't make any noise at all unless at either full lock.

Sounds like you have been unlucky with yours, but in contrast, the Wife's 2011 SEL DSG has been 100% reliable and not put a foot wrong.
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

Norbreck21a wrote:To be honest, the dribble on the rear washers is pretty normal for most cars. As the pump head is positioned some inches away from the jet, there will doubtlessly be an accumulation of water in the system that will dribble out. Not a lot VW can do about that.

With regards to the TPMS going off, have you checked the pressures lately or topped up the tyres and not reset the system by holding in the "SET" button mounted in the glovebox ?

Squeaky steering (or hissing at full lock) is quite normal and it's the pressure relief valve venting off excess hydraulic pressure in the rack. Again pretty much all cars with hydraulic power assistance have this feature, but it certainly shouldn't make any noise at all unless at either full lock.

Sounds like you have been unlucky with yours, but in contrast, the Wife's 2011 SEL DSG has been 100% reliable and not put a foot wrong.
I can accept the dribbling :) I have reset the tyre pressure detector many many times as that's the only way to get rid of the light on the dashboard.

My problem is still the breaks however (not the hissing steering). I can't help but feel that my car was abused as its an ex-demo :(