Signs of Gearbox Failure?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
ieuan-j
New

Signs of Gearbox Failure?

Post by ieuan-j »

Hi guys, I've been having a few problems with gear crunches from 2nd to 3rd lately, at first I thought it was me having a lazy left foot, but after the second time I felt concerned, and it's happend again tonight (4th time) and it certainly wasn't a lazy foot this time... Car is a 2007 on 21k, and it's definitely had a good life judging by the history of it, Could it just be as simple as refreshing the gearbox oil for new, premium stuff, I suspect it hasn't had it changed, and after a bit of searching found that apparently they left the factory with p*** and below the required level? Selecting gears is fine, all go in mint, and are as tight as nuns c*nt, also clutch I thinks is fine, it's my first car with hydrolic clutch but seams as it should be? Everyone that's driven it has said its mint to drive so no concern there... any suggestions/recommendations are muchos appreciated :)
noone025
Bronze Member

Re: Signs of Gearbox Failure?

Post by noone025 »

A few of us in Australia have had success with the Redline MTL or MT-90 gearbox oils.
Does help with the crunching, there are a few threads on the topic on VW Watercooled forum
andyc315
Bronze Member

Post by andyc315 »

check the spare wheel well for a sticker that says 35A7 (it's only little) as this was the gearbox oil recall, if yours doesn't have it, take it to VW to ask about it
Stargazer
Getting There!

Post by Stargazer »

noone025 wrote:A few of us in Australia have had success with the Redline MTL or MT-90 gearbox oils.
Does help with the crunching, there are a few threads on the topic on VW Watercooled forum
How much gearbox oil is needed for a full change do you know? Just 1 Litre?
rover220
Gold Member

Post by rover220 »

Stargazer wrote:
noone025 wrote:A few of us in Australia have had success with the Redline MTL or MT-90 gearbox oils.
How much gearbox oil is needed for a full change do you know? Just 1 Litre?
1.9litres for a propper change
Stargazer
Getting There!

Post by Stargazer »

Thanks bud much appreciated!
Lukeygower
Getting There!

Post by Lukeygower »

I had a simular problem with mine as it was crunching reverse, 1st and 2nd gear i spoke to a transmition specalist and they told me to do a test with the car before wrighting it off as gearbox problems. They said without of putting the clutch pedal down put the gear stick in second so it is grinding the gears. Put the clutch pedal down and if it is still crunching gears a fiew seconds after the pedal is down it is the pressure plate on the clutch. Now my cluch has been changed no problems in selecting gears any more. I know you said that its fine gears wise but might be worth a try.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2