Beta Radio

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
ron20
New

Beta Radio

Post by ron20 »

Can anyone tell me if a difference in electrical potential of less than 0.5 volts, between the permanent supply and the one from the ignition switch, could cause the display not to work? :idea:
Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Beta Radio

Post by alexperkins »

No that'll make no difference

Do you just get a red flashing light?
ron20
New

Post by ron20 »

alexperkins wrote:No that'll make no difference

Do you just get a red flashing light?
Hi Alex, yes I do just get a red flashing light, although on the off chance that you are an electronics wizard, or you just like a challenge, I have noticed the following, assuming that the car lights are on.

The red light flashes only until the front left button is pressed and held, or the key is turned, or turned on then off and left in.
When the left front button is pressed and held for less than about 2 seconds, then the display flashes only when pressed.
When the left front button is held for more than about 2 seconds, then the display flashes when pressed and released.
When the key is turned the display flashes once only.
If the front left button is held for less than 2 seconds as described previously and after 1 second or less the button is pressed again, sometimes the display does not flash at all, but the lights in the radio go off, then come back on! : :o :?

If at this point you have lost the will to live, then I can only apologise, perhaps I should get out more! :(
Any ideas?
Many thanks :)
Ron
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Hi Ron

The Beta/Gamma radios were never designed to work on the Mk4 polo - They require the K-Line protocol as they link to the cars diagnostic and immobilizer system. This is why you cannot get the radio to turn on, as it cannot communicate with the cars systems.

Its very difficult to get this working, and to be fair, for whats its worth, you are best to just go out and buy a decent Pioneer/Sony/Alpine head unit and be done with it

Cheers

alex
ron20
New

Post by ron20 »

alexperkins wrote:Hi Ron

The Beta/Gamma radios were never designed to work on the Mk4 polo - They require the K-Line protocol as they link to the cars diagnostic and immobilizer system. This is why you cannot get the radio to turn on, as it cannot communicate with the cars systems.

Its very difficult to get this working, and to be fair, for whats its worth, you are best to just go out and buy a decent Pioneer/Sony/Alpine head unit and be done with it

Cheers

alex
Hi Alex

Many thanks indeed for all the information and advice, which is very much appreciated.

At last it all makes sense, I bought the wrong radio :roll: ...doh!

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Ron