Central Locking Problem 97 MkIV

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
discreet
New

Central Locking Problem 97 MkIV

Post by discreet »

Noob here. Apologies if this has already been covered, but a search didn't find it.

I have a 97 MkIV. When I lock the drivers door with the key, the entire car locks as it should and you can hear the CL vacuum pump working. However, the pump doesn't stop working and continues making its familiar whirring noise. Obviously it can't be left like this as the pump would soon fail, or more likely the battery would go flat. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? Thanks very much. :)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Central Locking Problem 97 MkIV

Post by alexperkins »

That sounds like an air leak

Check for leaks in the cl pipes. Especially the one for the fuel cap. You'll hear a hissing where it's leaking.
discreet
New

Post by discreet »

alexperkins wrote:That sounds like an air leak

Check for leaks in the cl pipes. Especially the one for the fuel cap. You'll hear a hissing where it's leaking.
I will do that, thanks very much. First I need to fix the hatchback door, which is stuck fast... duh. Thanks again. :)
discreet
New

Post by discreet »

alexperkins wrote:That sounds like an air leak

Well, that's EXACTLY what it was! This place is great! Thanks very much - no doubt you've saved me more than a few bob. :D
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Glad to help :)
gadgetgricey
New

Post by gadgetgricey »

Sorry to hijack the thread but have exactly the same problem.

Is their a piping route diagram or is it easy enough just to follow the pipes from the pump. Have a habit of damaging trim when I remove bits :oops:

Thanks again

- Dave -