Buyer beware

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Pig_Vomit
New

Buyer beware

Post by Pig_Vomit »

Well just got back from the dealer to pick up my 1.6tdi, only to discover when signing the paperwork it was actually a 1.2!
He said it was showing as a 1.6 on VW national database thingy, but was quite happy to proceed with the deal.
I was expecting some refund or sweetener,but no- same price because i was getting the more modern engine! :shock:
As you can imagine, no deal and got a full refund which is a bummer to say the least, day off work, a new RCD510 sitting in the garage and It was booked in this afternoon for a remap. :cry:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Buyer beware

Post by alexperkins »

How frustrating!

The 1.2 TDI engine is somewhat better than the 1.6, but it is a little more noisy. Power wise there isnt really much noticeable difference, plus the 1.2 is more economical but each to their own!
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

Unrelated, but great username OP.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

The 1.2 TDI is basically a 3 cylinder 1.6 TDI. It is what the old 1.4 PD was to the 1.9 PD TDI.

Not sure how it's better per se. It produces the same power as the lowest output 1.6, but is 15 bhp down on the unit found in the SEL. You can't remap them either, whilst all the 1.6 TDIs remap to over 140bhp. It's probably more economical around town, but I'd bet it's no better than the 1.6 on the motorway doing the speed limit. And it's not a 'more modern engine'. Glad the OP got a refund.

This sounds like me hating on the 1.2, but it's like saying the 1.4 TDI is better than the 1.9 TDI. It isn't and I've had both. However, anyone's welcome to pull a Big Lebowski on me an say "Well, that's just like your opinion man" and I'll shut up :)

Are you picking up a 1.6?

Ash :)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Hater 8) haha

The 1.2 doesnt suffer with the DPF issues like the 1.6 did (or used to) though :D
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

I hate DPFs with a vengeance. I love my 9n 1.4 TDI in that regard. Less to go wrong, plus it seems to be getting better MPG the more miles I put on it!

Ash :)
Pig_Vomit
New

Post by Pig_Vomit »

Hi all, quick reply.

Just got off the train back home, sold my Volvo which was going to be a px against the Polo, gives me more options - time to check out the classifieds.

Yeah, still looking for a motor, prefer the styling of the VW as opposed to Skoda/SEAT however i do like the A1, but then thats more money for basically a runaround which goes against what i was changing car for in the first place.

So prob still go for a Polo 1.6tdi so i can remap the s**t out of it! (don't tell the wife), i'm sure the 1.2 is a lovely car but i would be soooo bored of the lack of power in weeks, i just wouldn't enjoy owning one.

I will no doubt delete the DPF and EGR, it still needs to be 'economical' in the great scheme of things, but anything 40mpg+ i will be happy with.