Buying a 6R - Advice on engine & model...

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Re: Buying a 6R - Advice on engine & model...

Post by greypolo9n3 »

lxm wrote:Hi guys....

So I wanted a 1.2/1.6 TDI, 5 door either grey or red...... Things may not turn out that way. Had 7k to spend top limit.

Local garage has a 1.2 70PS 3 door, MODA in red which is appealing due to it being local and knowing the garage owner.... but its completely away from what I originally wanted.

He is asking 6495, straight away he offered me it for 6200, but I have a few issues with it. The millage is at 50k and there are a good few deep stone chips on the bonnet and scraps around the doors etc, with this in consideration the 6200 is doing nothing for me and I dont feel like im getting a good deal. If im spending 6-7k I want it to be in really good nick, and I want to feel like im getting a good deal.

Should I offer 5800 or 6000? I think I would take it at this price and feel satisfied that it was a reasonable deal, after all its sat on the forecourt since before December.

thoughts ?
I wouldnt ever make an offer on anything which isnt what you really want....youll see a tdi down the line and regret buying the 1.2 70ps.

Wait a bit longer..have a look in BCA auction if you can get someone with an account, youll easily find a tdi within your budget but maybe 70k+....mine has nearly 85k and runs like a dream..dont let mileage put you off as long as history is full and it runs good. Ive seen a 1.6 tdi go up to 190k running sweet...so i know theyre strong engines
chrispy.
Gold Member

Buying a 6R - Advice on engine & model...

Post by chrispy. »

Dont be afraid to travel, i travelled 220 miles. Essex to Leeds to get my car but saved £3k just because of the area the car was being sold in.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up coming away from the 1.2 70ps...... 50k seems way to high for a 3 year petrol car, im thinking of cam-belts, clutches etc, I don't want all of these to start going within the next 10k and costing a bomb, looking for something with 30kish....
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

the 75bhp 1.6 TDI SE should be within budget. A simple remap will almost double power to 140+ bhp. More power than a remapped 1.2 TSI and better MPG.

Ash
greypolo9n3
Gold Member

Post by greypolo9n3 »

K.I.T.T. wrote:the 75bhp 1.6 TDI SE should be within budget. A simple remap will almost double power to 140+ bhp. More power than a remapped 1.2 TSI and better MPG.

Ash
my 1.6 75 is remapped...and it does fly! lol
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Ever get it on the dyno? All 1.6 CR TDIs, be it the 75, 90 or 105ps version should remap to over 140. The only difference between them is the stock ECU map. All the hardware is exactly the same, I've checked this on ETKA.

Ash
greypolo9n3
Gold Member

Post by greypolo9n3 »

K.I.T.T. wrote:Ever get it on the dyno? All 1.6 CR TDIs, be it the 75, 90 or 105ps version should remap to over 140. The only difference between them is the stock ECU map. All the hardware is exactly the same, I've checked this on ETKA.

Ash
Yes u are exactly correct....ive had a few issue with my particular ECU...the tuner couldnt get into it...it kept bringing the DPF light back on ( i have dpf delete and decat)...wouldnt go over 115bhp....but after leaving the car with them for 2 weeks...it came back alooottt faster...havent had it dyno'd though...im thinking it is around the 140 mark...last week a seat leon tdi fr 150 couldnt get away from me :lol:
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

K.I.T.T. wrote:Ever get it on the dyno? All 1.6 CR TDIs, be it the 75, 90 or 105ps version should remap to over 140. The only difference between them is the stock ECU map. All the hardware is exactly the same, I've checked this on ETKA.

Ash
Even the injectors and turbos? That's reassuring, a stock 75PS one should go forever it's so lightly tuned!
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

vc-10 wrote:
Even the injectors and turbos? That's reassuring, a stock 75PS one should go forever it's so lightly tuned!
Yep! Why do you think they all map to the same level ;)

Ash
greypolo9n3
Gold Member

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Yeah they all have exactly the same hardware albeit the rear exhaust box
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Had another test drive of a 1.2 (70) and a 1.4 (85) - gave them both a good run on a good part of my daily commute route, town centre, B roads and then a run on the dual carriageway.

To be honest the only real noticeable difference between the two was the accelerating on the dual carriageway, it took a little bit more RPM and guts to get up to 70ish but nothing major, the 1.2(70) still has good acceleration overall.

With that in perspective and the fact that most 2-3 year old 1.4's in my price range are high milage (50k+) and only SE model I think im going to pick up a 1.2 (70). Within my budget I can get a 15-30k mile car either moda or match, more for my money.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Another post for your thoughts and opinions guys.

Flash Red or Nimbus grey ? 3 or 5 door ? I have choice from all combinations of colour and door types.. :D
nVIR
New

Post by nVIR »

I'd still push for a 1.4 / 1.2 TSI if I were you - don't settle for anything that you don't love otherwise its not worth it - a quick look shows this sort of thing:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/for-sale/ ... 533939392/

60 plate, 30k miles, 1.4 SEL (a reasonably high spec) @ £7.5K

This sort of thing is what you want to be looking for :)

PS: Colour-wise, I'd probably go with flash red :) grey for me is a bit boring :D
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

There are loads of 1.2 TSI Polos on Autotrader at the moment and the price is only going one way (hint - its not up!)

No excuse not to buy one IMO :)
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Also, might be worth holding out a few more months until they release the facelifted 6r. Prices of the current 6r should drop.

Ash