Polo 9N3 heater problem

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
ccarmock
New

Polo 9N3 heater problem

Post by ccarmock »

Hi I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. Today I noticed in my Polo 9N3 the heater airflow direction control doesn't work properly. It was fine on Friday, but when I turn it now the air direction doesn't change - it stays coming out of the dashboard vents. When I turn the control I can hear a slight click that I don't think I heard before.

I wonder if some linkage inside has become disconnected?

Has anyone seen this before? How easy is this to disassemble?

Or is this a trip to a VW dealer for repair?
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Re: Polo 9N3 heater problem

Post by greypolo9n3 »

either a linkage may have slipped out..

or your resistor is gone
ccarmock
New

Post by ccarmock »

Does the resistor control airflow direction or does that operate the flaps that divert air to be heated?

The air is coming through heated OK and is controllable by the temperature control.

It does sound like a linkage to me since I hear and can feel a sort of click as if something is jumping when I turn the airflow direction control on the right.

Does anyone know how to get at the linkage to look?
greypolo9n3
Gold Member

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Ohh right i misunderstood...reading too fast lol

The resistor controls the 1 2 3 4 speeds

Your problem could be something as simple as a broken knob, the connection on the knob might have come off

Try taking the controls off and have a look :)....pull the black cover off and there should be screws under it

If that is not the case then youll have to rip your dashboard off and have a butchers inside :(
ccarmock
New

Post by ccarmock »

Thanks for this.

Yes the fan works correctly on all 4 speeds so the resistor looks to be OK.

I agree it seems like the linkage that connects to the right hand control has either broken or become detached, but is still touching I guess as I hear a click as if two pieces are rubbing against each other. It did not do that before.

Do you mean the surround on the lower part of the dash/console just pulls off? or did you mean pull the knob itself off?

If I feel under that console piece I feel two screws (recessed), but they seem slightly further back than the front section.

If you could advise me the right way to get that off I'll take a look. is it possible to remove the section that contains the three controls to look behind?
greypolo9n3
Gold Member

Post by greypolo9n3 »

ccarmock wrote:Thanks for this.

Yes the fan works correctly on all 4 speeds so the resistor looks to be OK.

I agree it seems like the linkage that connects to the right hand control has either broken or become detached, but is still touching I guess as I hear a click as if two pieces are rubbing against each other. It did not do that before.

Do you mean the surround on the lower part of the dash/console just pulls off? or did you mean pull the knob itself off?

If I feel under that console piece I feel two screws (recessed), but they seem slightly further back than the front section.

If you could advise me the right way to get that off I'll take a look. is it possible to remove the section that contains the three controls to look behind?
Yes just pull the heater control surround...be careful not to scratch it its never easy to scratch. now i cant remember if the stereo has to come out...i dont think it does

Pull that cover off and undo the screws..and it should slide out..im not sure about those two screws your talking about
ccarmock
New

Post by ccarmock »

ok thanks

the two screws I mean are in two recesses - you can feel them if you side your hand under the heater control console one each side.

is the airflow control linkage directly connected tot he knob or is there a cable of some sort? Just keen not to pull any linkage apart as I remove it
greypolo9n3
Gold Member

Post by greypolo9n3 »

ccarmock wrote:ok thanks

the two screws I mean are in two recesses - you can feel them if you side your hand under the heater control console one each side.

is the airflow control linkage directly connected tot he knob or is there a cable of some sort? Just keen not to pull any linkage apart as I remove it
I cant really remember if im honest...been a long time since i took my dash apart

youll be okay as long as you use common sense and dont go too manly with your hands lol
ccarmock
New

Post by ccarmock »

lol - thanks I'll give it a try - maybe not till the weekend now and some daylight when I am home.

It's a pain this not working correctly.
ccarmock
New

Post by ccarmock »

The front surround just pulled off as was described. Also the three control knobs pull off as a complete section. What I find is if I turn the control that the knob itself connects to by hand I get the same problem - the clicking from inside the unit and no change in airflow.

So it sounds like a linkage further inside is at fault.

Does anyone know the correct way to remove the white inner section of this?
ccarmock
New

Post by ccarmock »

The Cable had disconnected inside. VW reconnected at no cost for me...