Radio help

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
DanZa
New

Radio help

Post by DanZa »

Right. hi all,

I'm a bit of a vw newbie and I've got a 6n2 polo gti and the radio decided to just be a doughnut recently. Basically, it won't turn on and when it does it flickers on and off. I've checked fuses - fine, checked earths - fine, checked 12v red wire feed - fine, yellow wire I've narrowed it down to. Because, when I cut that wire and temporally ran it to my battery it worked fine, no problems so it must be that wire. Thing is is, if I'm correct, isn't that yellow one a ignition live for the radio when the cars running? If so I can just run that to a ignition live somewhere yeah? If so, where's a good ignition live on these?
mswuk
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo Gti 6n2

Re: Radio help

Post by mswuk »

I had a similar issue but the switched live wouldn't turn on the stereo but had voltage going through it! in the end I just joined the red and yellow together then to a pernament live but I can remove the whole face of my stereo so it doesn't drain the battery.
Your ignition switch could be at fault as I suspect mine is but I also have now got a failed battery and alternator.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Radio help

Post by alexperkins »

It'll likely be the ignition switch