What Polo to get?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
DaniiCEO
New

What Polo to get?

Post by DaniiCEO »

Hi guys,
I'm new here so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section.
I was hoping for some advice, I want to purchase a VW Polo and I have a budget of around £5500 - £7000.
I have seen a lot of different models & engine sizes. Not too interested in the 1.2 60, but the 1.2 70, 1.4 85 and the 1.2 Bluemotion interest me.
I have no idea what the best engine is and what models to look out for, I'm not too fussy with extras but as long as it has alloy wheels and an aux/usb or iPhone 5 connector, it would be ideal. No less then 2010 too.

Quite a long question but I really want to make sure I make the right decision before spending that amount of money. (I am also planning to make this my first car, so nothing too insurance heavy either)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: What Polo to get?

Post by alexperkins »

A Match spec would be good to go for

Ive personally had a 1.2TDI Match and it was a very good little car, with excellent MPG - rarely seeing less than 55-60MPG
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

DaniiCEO wrote:Hi guys,
I'm new here so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section.
I was hoping for some advice, I want to purchase a VW Polo and I have a budget of around £5500 - £7000.
I have seen a lot of different models & engine sizes. Not too interested in the 1.2 60, but the 1.2 70, 1.4 85 and the 1.2 Bluemotion interest me.
I have no idea what the best engine is and what models to look out for, I'm not too fussy with extras but as long as it has alloy wheels and an aux/usb or iPhone 5 connector, it would be ideal. No less then 2010 too.

Quite a long question but I really want to make sure I make the right decision before spending that amount of money. (I am also planning to make this my first car, so nothing too insurance heavy either)
I had a 1.4 SE as my first car on a 10 reg and that was great, wasn't too great on fuel however. I then traded that for a 1.6 TDI SEL (they both cost me around the same on insurance) and the SEL was much nicer inside and better on fuel so if you can find one of them for your budget I'd get one, they also have the iPhone MDI as standard too.
DaniiCEO
New

Post by DaniiCEO »

Hi thanks for that guys,
So the diesel engine would be the one to go for?

Is it worth me purchasing a new Polo from the showroom. It will have to be financed as I won't be able to afford the cash price but I've heard that its not always good to buy a brand new car due to the decrease in value.
DaniiCEO
New

Post by DaniiCEO »

I've also been looking at the match versions of the Polo and noticed quite a large price difference between the Petrols & Diesels. Is there any reason for this, would it really be worth me forking out an extra 2 grand on a diesel version of the Polo.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

If you want the economy, the diesel is the one to go for.

Diesels always have a higher price tag
DaniiCEO
New

Post by DaniiCEO »

I see, and if the diesel variants were a little over my budget should I stick with the petrol version polos or go for another car altogether ?
jezyg
New

Post by jezyg »

A diesel is only worthwhile if you do the millage, DPF issues and the odd report of high fuel economy are things to watch out for in particular the 1.6TDi. Match is the best spec and the best price/performance option is the 1.4. 1.4 can achieve high forties on a decent run around 38-40 around town. 1.2 70 has the same level of torque as 1.2 60 and that is what both the 1.2s lack on faster roads or fully loaded. Downside of the 1.4 is higher £125 RFL. The pick is the 1.2TSi but will be out of your budget and was available on R Line and SEL models only.

Moda was a nice spec as long as it comes with A/C, SE lacks front fogs, MDi but has A/C and different 15" alloy design to Moda, Match was SE + Moda in one package, then Match Editon added rear PDC, cruise, alarm and bluetooth telephone as standard.
DaniiCEO
New

Post by DaniiCEO »

Excellent, that was really helpful. The 1.4 is the one I will definitely be going for, from what you've told me and read elsewhere it seems to be the best option in terms of value for money.
I'm just going to have to find the best spec for my self now. I've actually found a few TSI's within £7000 which is excellent as the 1.4's I've seen are pretty much the same price.

I assume the 1.2 TSI is just more of a turbo charged engine? A lot more power compared to the other 1.2's and even the 1.4.
jezyg
New

Post by jezyg »

1.2 is indeed more powerful 105ps compared to the 85ps 1.4, along with more torque 175Nm v 132Nm. Use the power and it will drink more than the 1.4 however at lower rpm and light throttle is more economical. Match is the spec to go for if you can, it should be in your budget. Don't forget main dealers put 1K profit on the ticker price, so a 7500K car you would be able to knock them down to 7K maybe a bit more...

Interesting the 1.2 TSi is now a similar price to a 1.4, prices must have softened over the past 12 months. 1.2 TSi SEL would be ideal :D
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

Another vote for the 1.2 tsi from me
DaniiCEO
New

Post by DaniiCEO »

Hi guys,
Really appreciate all the help and yeah the 1.2 TSI seems like the best option. The feeling of having all that power to hand excites me.
However the new Polo's will be out soon and I was wondering if I should wait and go for a new car.
I will have to finance it and I'm just curious as to whether or not it's worth buying a new car?
The new Polo's look great and there's a lot of engine options to choose from and it all looks really appealing.
If I was to buy a new car I'd have to go through a site like Drive the deal but I'm not sure if they offer the same £1000 deposit contribution and 1 years free insurance.

Thanks in advance people.
calvinw1
Bronze Member

Post by calvinw1 »

DaniiCEO wrote:Hi guys,
Really appreciate all the help and yeah the 1.2 TSI seems like the best option. The feeling of having all that power to hand excites me.
However the new Polo's will be out soon and I was wondering if I should wait and go for a new car.
I will have to finance it and I'm just curious as to whether or not it's worth buying a new car?
The new Polo's look great and there's a lot of engine options to choose from and it all looks really appealing.
If I was to buy a new car I'd have to go through a site like Drive the deal but I'm not sure if they offer the same £1000 deposit contribution and 1 years free insurance.

Thanks in advance people.
Have a look on orange wheels website. You still get the depositor contribution and insurance as it's the dealer selling the car not the deal website. What is worth considering though is that on new cars the APR for finance is much lower than used, along with the monthly payments.
DaniiCEO
New

Post by DaniiCEO »

Cheers buddy, Would you know whether its worth it buying a pre-reg polo too ?
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

Wouldn't buy a pre reg now unless it's mega cheap. Waiting for the facelift Polo makes more financial sense. It will hold it's value better as it's a new model whilst been nicer to own since it will remain current for several years to come.