Polo 6N Central Locking Pump Air Line Connection

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
rossitrf
New

Polo 6N Central Locking Pump Air Line Connection

Post by rossitrf »

The Central locking pump on my 1999 Polo 1.6GL seems to have stopped working.

I've bought a replacement and of course need to remove the airline plastic connector from the old pump and attach it to the new one.

I've pulled, twisted, tried to lever it off with small flat-bladed screw driver but, without using strong force likely to break something, cannot see how it disconnects.

I've removed the existing pump from the car by cutting the plastic airline close to the connector.

I then carefully cut the small length of airline pipe attached to the part of the connector which is inserted into the airline.

I assume I need to somehow remove this part of the airline connector from the female connector attached to the pump body (attached to a white plastic rectangular plate)

As I said, I cannot see how to do this without damaging the connector.

Can anyone help please?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Polo 6N Central Locking Pump Air Line Connection

Post by alexperkins »

Please post up a photo of the part you are attempting to remove - I think i know the bit but want to be sure before i tell you how to remove it.
rossitrf
New

Post by rossitrf »

Thanks for your offer of help but I had one further go with a flat-bladed screw driver at removing it and - lo and behold! - I succeeded.

The connector I am referring to is inserted into the blue plastic airline pipe and connects the airline to the pump by fitting onto via a female connector attached to the body of the pump.

As I mentioned, unable to disconnect the airline from the pump whilst in the Polo, I cut the connector off from the airline and then removed the small length of blue airline left attached.

But this has now created an additional problem - I can't reattach the connector by pushing it back into the blue plastic airline - the plastic is too hard and inflexible.

I tried placing the end of the airline in both boiling water and steam from a boiling kettle but the plastic did not soften enough to allow the connector to be pushed into it.

So I'm not able to connect the airline to the pump using the connector.

I discovered another subscriber who solved this same problem by connecting the blue airline to the pump connector directly using a short length of fish tank aerator rubber tubing and not using the connector.

I'll probably try the same method but if anyone can suggest a way of attaching the connector to the blue plastic airline I'd be very interested.
rossitrf
New

Post by rossitrf »

Bought some 5mm fish tank air pump tubing and connected one end of short length to end of blue air line and inserted connector in other end so was able to attach to CLP
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Glad you got it sorted