VW Polo Blue GT fuel consumption

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Paulalfc78
New
Drives: POLO BLUE GT 2014

VW Polo Blue GT fuel consumption

Post by Paulalfc78 »

Hi

I have had my Blue GT for around a month now and had filled it up with normal unleaded petrol but i seem to only be getting aroung 45mpg if that and that is just driving locally (although i did go to Stoke on Saturday which was a 100 mile round trip ans still only got around 48mpg and was doing 70mph using cruise control)). I decided today that i would fill the car up with unleaded platinum petrol from Tesco to see if this makes a difference in fuel as this is what is recommended for my car. I am noticing straight away that i am getting 55-60 mpg with the unleaded platinum fuel and this is just driving round town locally and going to work and back.

I just wondered what everybody else uses to fill up with and whether or not they see a difference in mpg depending on what fuel they use?. Any responses would be welcome.

Thanks
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Re: VW Polo Blue GT fuel consumption

Post by hornmeister »

In my GTI I get anywhere from 5-10% better economy using super. More than enough to off-set the cost and the performance is a little sharper also.
bennyboy
Bronze Member
Drives: old 6r GTI , now 6c GTI

Post by bennyboy »

I have the gti also I tend to average about 36mpg but depending on mood can drop to 10-12mpg but go upto 50mpg , but filling up I just tend to fill up on shell v power unless im desperate and I use anything from anywhere like a supermarket crap to v power.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

I did 66,6 mpg on a 30 mile trip a month or so back. on a mixture of regular and Shell V-Power.

But I usually get around 50 mpg just driving normally.

You don't automatically get the high mpg's just by driving as you have allways done... You have to really think about ever move you make in traffic as it has allways been when trying to get more out the fuel. :)
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Hypermiling is quite a skill- I'm not amazing at it but I can get significantly better mpg figures over my parents, while not being any slower. It's all about reading the road ahead of you.
joelburbidge
Bronze Member

Post by joelburbidge »

i find that i get worst mpg on motorways compared to city driving
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

TBH, despite the claims made my VW in their advertising, I think 40-45mpg is about right for general mixture of commuting and occasional motorway cruising.

In the 6200 the wife has done in hers, it's averaged about 45mpg with a high of 58mpg on a 150 mile trip down to Oxford. Honestly, if someone had told you a few years ago you could get a "warmish" hatch with 140ps, that would do over 130mpg and 0-60 in mid eight seconds, that would consistently do 45mpg, I think you would have laughed at them.

Despite the differences between advertised and real life MPG, I still think the wife's Polo Blue GT is probably one of the very best cars we have ever purchased ! (and that includes my current MK7 Golf GTD which I love).
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

vc-10 wrote:Hypermiling is quite a skill- I'm not amazing at it but I can get significantly better mpg figures over my parents, while not being any slower. It's all about reading the road ahead of you.
I concur 100% :)
wigit
Bronze Member

Post by wigit »

Norbreck21a wrote:TBH, despite the claims made my VW in their advertising, I think 40-45mpg is about right for general mixture of commuting and occasional motorway cruising.

In the 6200 the wife has done in hers, it's averaged about 45mpg with a high of 58mpg on a 150 mile trip down to Oxford. Honestly, if someone had told you a few years ago you could get a "warmish" hatch with 140ps, that would do over 130mpg and 0-60 in mid eight seconds, that would consistently do 45mpg, I think you would have laughed at them.

Despite the differences between advertised and real life MPG, I still think the wife's Polo Blue GT is probably one of the very best cars we have ever purchased ! (and that includes my current MK7 Golf GTD which I love).
i'm getting similar mpg and have to admit i absolutely love the Blue GT it just gets on and does its business and for a daily is great, wife loves it as well and i still like it now the R has arrived

at the moment i also have a brand new 208 derv hire car which is just awful compared to the Polo, less power and can only get about 42mpg out of it, worst manual gearbox I have used for ages, there is a fifth gear in there someone and for anyone who remembers a Commodore 64 with a Quickshot II joystick that is what the leaver is like and the through
CATS
New

Post by CATS »

I also have to agree about the BlueGT, it's great and is our only car, a 3dr as I much prefer it's looks. I only had one real complaint about the light steering but have fixed that using VCDS. I fitted a JF Automotive engine tuning module which gives an extra 30hp and with this I'm getting 52mpg on mixed runs, this is using a brim to brim method not the trip computer. The engine now seems to be on 2 cylinder mode for longer periods which must help, I was getting around 48mpg before fitting the module and driving in a similar manor. When we had our previous car an UP! I was getting 54mpg and the Polo has 100bhp more power.

Checking the performance using Andriod Torque pro app with the JF module it gave a 60-80 in top of 7 seconds and 40-60 in third of 2.9 which is not at all bad for a warm hatch.
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

The new 2014 Polo has a different steering setup which is said to improve steering feel significantly, but I've not seen any decent reviews yet which mention this. Suspension I think is also changed across the range which should help with feel/handling too, that and it has an electronic diff, though I can't recall if this is the same one as previous years or if it's a new one to the Polo (BlueGT and GTi only).
zebraman
Getting There!

Post by zebraman »

We get about 45mpg from our 1.2 60hp Polo.

So the extra 80hp in the GT is costing you nothing....enjoy it!
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

zebraman wrote:We get about 45mpg from our 1.2 60hp Polo.

So the extra 80hp in the GT is costing you nothing....enjoy it!
Aside from the few extra thousand to buy the car in the first place :) But yeah, the mpg and performance on the BlueGT were perfectly matched for me :) I get the equivalent of 50mpg from my LPG 1.6 16v Astra...but I'm lucky to see the sunny side of 10 seconds on the 0-60 figure (7.8 book figure on the Polo), car tax is £165 per annum now (£20 on the Polo), and the insurance on the Polo is lower!
Paulalfc78
New
Drives: POLO BLUE GT 2014

Post by Paulalfc78 »

Thanks for all your comments/replies.

I think because i had my 1.4 TDI polo for 12 years and the fuel economy on that was fantastic and now ive switched to petrol its taking a bit of getting used to not having the same fuel consumption on the Blue GT as i had on the TDI even though i put the same amount of fuel in the car each month. I still love my car though and glad i went for that one. :D
susube91
New

Post by susube91 »

Ive got a 1.6 tdi, i average 55mpg, i use shell fuelsave 3 times and then use the nitro+, i find using the nitro+ gives me loads more miles and little bit extra umph, so well worth the money