Exhaust, induction and remaps

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
auds2
New
Drives: Golf Mk4

Re: Exhaust, induction and remaps

Post by auds2 »

Mayhem wrote:Most boxes are not proper tested on the car. They also dont really set any limits to the map they just turn everything upto max which is what ends up harming the car. a good map is tested on the car then mapped again while the car is there to smooth out any issues
Interesting statement Mayhem, have you used a tuning box before or just read about them on forums?
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

If the box is properly tested then it will probably be fine. but if it isnt and just contains a map that pushes the limits of the car to breaking point then its not so good. a company like revo will test the map on a car before releasing it for sale. for that reason alone i would always put my faith in a proper mapping company rather than a mass produced box. some companys like superchips do their bluefin box which i would be more than happy to use as it contains their tested map. i dont know enough about dtuk tbh but i would sooner spend £400 on a revo map with better gains personally
auds2
New

Post by auds2 »

I've done quite a bit of hunting around over the years about this topic and to be honest the two company's you mention, along with most other remappers and flash file company's offer a good product but none of them have TUV approval, which as you probs all ready know is one of the most difficult approval ratings to achieve in the motor vehicle world. Most tuning box company's ( not all ) have this approval on their products which, for me at least speaks volumes.
TUV is not required on a tuning product unless your altering the hardware of the car but it goes to show how good these products must be and how much testing must have been done to be able to gain such a high level of conformity.
Now I don't drive a brand new car with a warranty but if I did I know which direction I would go, especially with a VAG car and the ever present threat of the dreaded TD1 flag ruining your warranty claim if you needed it.

Personally I'm not fussed which way you decide to tune your cars, I'm only voicing my opinion on the matter and spreading some knowledge in case other members didn't know these things.
Jamesbluegt
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6r bluegt

Post by Jamesbluegt »

Dtuk tests there boxes on individual cars otherwise what would be the point in selling boxes for specific cars? Like they have one for the polo blue gt 140ps and one for the 150ps version pushing the car for better gains even with a revo map is going to strain the engine more so I'll be going with the box and revo control box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamesbluegt
Bronze Member

Post by Jamesbluegt »

Dtuk tests there boxes on individual cars otherwise what would be the point in selling boxes for specific cars? Like they have one for the polo blue gt 140ps and one for the 150ps version pushing the car for better gains even with a revo map is going to strain the engine more so I'll be going with the box and revo control box

TheFrog
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Post by TheFrog »

The Revo site doesn't appear to list the 140 or 150hp Blue GT.
Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

Tbh iv emailed dtuk about my tsi as im quite interested in this option. Iv noticed they can get the 110bhp 1.2 to 130 yet the 105 only to 125 so im hoping mine can be pushed to the 130 mark. would deffo make it worth the £400 mark. I know when i had my astra diesel i read that they had settings on the box and some people just turned it to max and this had some bad effects on the car itself but that was a few years back now. I guess which ever way you go theres always a risk with any map as its being pushed past its standard setup
Jamesbluegt
Bronze Member

Post by Jamesbluegt »

I don't know if revo do a set custom map for the gt but they do a settings box which can be added aswell as the chip box I found this out when speaking to a friend of a friend at psi tuning in stoke

Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

Did you guys that have gone for a DTuk box go for the peddle response box or the FSR tuning box? Thinking that 125 bhp would be a bit safer to go for than revos 140bhp map. Plus i can do it myself and remove if needed this way now. Also is everything still running fine?
rsmagee
Silver Member
Drives: BlueGT (6C)

Post by rsmagee »

Both haha. Pedal box shou be here on Tuesday.

Fitting the box is pretty easy if you can do basic car jobs. You just need to be really carful to get the plugs the rift way round ect.
Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

Does it not just plug into the OBD socket, flash then unplug? Didnt think it had to be in all the time.
Jamesbluegt
Bronze Member

Post by Jamesbluegt »

Mayhem wrote:Revo do a remap. i wouldnt touch a tuning box if you paid me
Not to be a dick about this or anything but you preached about tuning box's being harmful to the car and now you are choosing them over the revo map?

Jamesbluegt
Bronze Member

Post by Jamesbluegt »

And yes they stay in all the time @mayhem

Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

Jamesbluegt wrote:
Mayhem wrote:Revo do a remap. i wouldnt touch a tuning box if you paid me
Not to be a dick about this or anything but you preached about tuning box's being harmful to the car and now you are choosing them over the revo map?

Thinking the risk of this box may be less than a revo box which has it pushed to 140bhp. The dtuk is only 125bhp which should be better on the standard parts. It was more a fact that most boxes are not tested. After looking into DTuk and exchanging emails they seem to be tested and put onto a dyno. I still believe the dtuk box is expensive, revo is £300 compared to £400 at the moment. Im not completely convinced which is why iv asked for more feedback before spending £300- £400 on this particular box and how it works
auds2
New

Post by auds2 »

Revo box is a port flash system which will invalidate your warranty if you have one. DTUK boxes plug direct to engine sensors and work down stream of the ECU and do not flash the system.